1. MissPriss13

MissPriss13 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2013
    My silkie's vent is protruding. Will this heal itself or do I need to do something? I did notice my roo on her earlier this afternoon. I'm new to chickens and want to make sure there isn't something I need to do to help her. She hasn't laid for a few weeks now so I'm confused on why he would be breeding/mating with her.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Poor girl! For prolapsed vents, I have heard it is best to tuck it back in and apply some Preparation H to the area. I have not dealt with this personally, however, I believe that's fairly standard practice. Good luck to you and her!

1 person likes this.
  3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    If it is a prolapse...I would suggest that you firstly bathe her vent area in warm water with a little betadine solution ( to clean her up ) dry her....then apply Prep-H or some honey ( honey has natural antibacterial properties ) either of these are recommended for shrinking the prolapse...try to gently insert the prolapse...this may take several attempts and needs to be given some time ...you will both need a resting period!

Once you have treated her...keep her isolated in a darkened area, she will be more relaxed and also she will not attempt to lay any eggs... it may take a few days of applying Prep-H or honey and attempting to re-insert her prolapse...

Do not allow her to mix with any of the other chickens until she is better...they are likely to peck at her vent and can be quite savage...

Good luck!

Any questions....post an update! There are many people here that will help further!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by