Prolapsed Drake Penis, I think (pics)

Pics

novastar

Songster
8 Years
Apr 24, 2014
C37E7B66-7D5A-4B15-AE87-6DDF3F156827.jpeg
6583A59F-6243-403F-86BA-B8DE8657737D.jpeg
I know there are a couple big threads about this topic. But I’m not sure what is really going on with my drake. I noticed a sack hanging from his vent, so I turned him over and .
Please advice.
Much thanks.

I thought it was a hernia? I just have no idea.
His penis always drug on the ground during mating season and then shriveled up and fell off after (at least that’s what I think happened). But as I have been reading, their penis isn’t suppose to drag, they are suppose to bring it back up in their body?
I’ve always had chickens. I’m about 1.5 years into keeping ducks.
I’m just lost with this dude.

Unfortunately, a vet is not really an option for us. :(
Okay, I understand, it's not an option for me either. :hugs

The first thing you need to do is clean it and post new pictures. Ideally you would use saline and chlorhexidine, but if you don't have those, just use warm water and a mild soap.

Do not try reinserting it, because it's infected, and do not apply any creams to it until we see it all cleaned up. If all of that is his penis, which I think it is, I am pretty sure you need to cut the damaged tissue off.

Last edited:
I thought it was a hernia? I just have no idea.
His penis always drug on the ground during mating season and then shriveled up and fell off after (at least that’s what I think happened). But as I have been reading, their penis isn’t suppose to drag, they are suppose to bring it back up in their body?
I’ve always had chickens. I’m about 1.5 years into keeping ducks.
I’m just lost with this dude.
I need to see it after it's all cleaned up, but I think it's his penis.

Back
Top Bottom