Prolapsed egg duct

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickenladyamie, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Chickenladyamie

Chickenladyamie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2013
    Last night I had to work so I had my hubby tend the flock and make sure they got locked in. When I got home he told me that a white leghorn name MO was kind of acting funny and that she laid a partial huge egg but was kind of soft and that she seemed dazed, he said he looked her over and checked out her rear. This morning she was dead in the coop untouched by the others and he said her egg duct was prolapsed. Has anyone heard of this? is it common in new layers? she had only been laying about 2 weeks.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sorry for your loss! [​IMG]It can happen, especially if a new layer lays a very large egg. It can also happen in older birds, if they lay really large eggs or haven't been getting enough calcium.

If it ever happens again, there are several things you can do to try and save the bird. Give her warm water baths (95 degrees or so). Slather honey and Witch Hazel onto the prolapse, and keep her clean. You can also try pushing the prolapse in gently a couple times a day. Healing can take up to two weeks, but the only prolapsed oviduct that one of my birds ever had receded in four days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by