Prolapsed hen

crystal1957

Songster
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
Tallahassee
Prolapsed vent for 3 days--first 2 days too large to push in--large and bloody looking...like a red bulb... been putting PrepH on it and it is slowly shrinking--however, there is crusty poop on the area and I have soaked in warm soapy water but just can't get the poop off of it. Very hard and if I pull it, it begins to bleed again.

Hate to keep trying to push it in--what should I do? And if it initially was a large red bulb mass, is that an internal organ as well? I keep the hen separated and she is eating and drinking--
Tomorrow is day 4. Thanks for your help.

I had a prolapse hen. Sadly, we had to put her down. If it doesn't go in, I don't know of anything you can do for them.

Basically, you're dealing with a weakness in the vent. Short of surgery, I don't know what will keep it in if it doesn't stay in by itself when you push it in.

Was hoping someone would come up with another way to help this poor hen. Can't seem to get the 'crust' off the mass, even with gentle soapy washing...will make one more attempt today to do what I can.

How long could she actually last with the prolapse exposed like that?

I, too, had a prolapsed hen. I tried the Prep H - I tried the warm baths - nothing worked. I took her to the Amish to have her put down as I could not bring myself to do it. There is not much hope for a prolapse. Even if you are successful, the probability for a recurrence is there and highly likely as well.

So sorry - wish I could offer you a positive suggestion.
sad.png

Quote:
My hen lasted quite a few days - the problem is that she is laying and continues to "re-injure" the prolapse daily as she strains to lay an egg. You can't make her stop laying. It has to be excruciatingly painful for her. Sadly, the nicest thing you can do is put her out of her misery.

So sorry!
We had this as well with two.

Honestly, we are starting to believe part of the problem was low calcium. Since we have added a side dish of oyster shells for our heavy laying leghorns,...the hens are fine. Knock on wood!
Not sure that is the best or only prevention, but as they devour the shells feel it was a contributing factor for the two we lost.

Good luck.

She had had her backside ripped open last year by a dog--and survived, and was laying eggs after several months. Her days were numbered...I have started to add more oyster shell more often...for the other birds.

And her eggs were just getting so large...

Never easy to lose one--I am a gentle soul and like to take care of all critters
smile.png
Luckily I have many more to care for!!

Quote:
hugs.gif
I'm really sorry to give you the bad news.

It's better that than the alternative. The one hen who prolapsed ended up having her innards pulled out by the other chickens at another time. Nasty. You don't want that.

Back
Top Bottom