Prolapsed Penis

Jen Bullock

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2017
I have a drake (4 years old) and noticed his penis was prolapsed.
I have been told to leave it and it will die and fall off. After no change in the tissue 3 days later (although I feel like it was prolapsed before I even noticed it) I decided to take him to the vet. They cut 4 cm off the tip, manually pushed it back in and told me to keep him out of water and away from females for the next 10 days. But he prolapsed again before we left the vet office and continues to prolapse about every hour or two so I’m faced with manually pushing it back in all day long.
I feel like I’m at a point where a decision needs to be made. Do I leave it out and hope the tisdue dies and falls off on its own or do I have the vet remove the entire penis?
Help, I’m so stressed!!!!

Stop the madness.... I just spent $400 at the Vet - only to have it prolapse again! From then on I’ve taken matters into my own hands.... he’s been separated at night with access to a clean bath, and clean bedding. He’s doing JUST FINE. I decided to let nature take its course... (after 10 days of antibiotics!). I LOVE that duck, so he’s been pretty spoiled over the past 3 weeks!

Go back and get them to stitch it closed for 10 days..put a sock or wrap to keep him from ripping the stitches out..
Go back and get them to stitch it closed for 10 days..put a sock or wrap to keep him from ripping the stitches out..
Stop the madness.... I just spent $400 at the Vet - only to have it prolapse again! From then on I’ve taken matters into my own hands.... he’s been separated at night with access to a clean bath, and clean bedding. He’s doing JUST FINE. I decided to let nature take its course... (after 10 days of antibiotics!). I LOVE that duck, so he’s been pretty spoiled over the past 3 weeks!

Ok, sooooo he just keep's prolapsing. I have had him on some anti inflammatories and the swelling has gone down quite a bit since I STOPPED trying to push it back in (which the vet recommend I do 4-6x/day).
He is currently living in my house away from the other girls and boys but he is so lonely and misses his mate :(
I was told to keep him out of water until the matter has resolved.
The vet is now wanting to remove the entire penis. So after $200 and now the $400 surgery bill (which I am more than happy to pay if it's the right thing to do for him) I'm feeling like I'm just putting him through more stress. I just want to make the right decision and I feel like leaving it and doing nothing he's just going to be in pain?

That part will sluff off and provide water. Vaseline in the beginning helps to keep it moist..

Thank you! I'll give it some more time. I'll keep it moist and make sure he is getting a bath once a day.
Do you think I could put him back out with his mate? I doubt he'll want to mate her but I'm sure there is always a chance. Also, he would have access to water 24/7 if I could put him back in the pen.

Thank you! I'll give it some more time. I'll keep it moist and make sure he is getting a bath once a day.
Do you think I could put him back out with his mate? I doubt he'll want to mate her but I'm sure there is always a chance. Also, he would have access to water 24/7 if I could put him back in the pen.
Mine is out with his 3 Hens. He will be okay.

Back
Top Bottom