prolapsed rectum...can't get it to go back inside

honey will attract flies. Doesn't seem like a good idea. Has anyone tried betadyne? Dealing with a hen now with prolapsed vent and very dirty back end. Maggots and flies. Washed her with hose, soaked in warm epsom salt bath, until somewhat cleaner. Sat her in diotomaceous earth to try to get rid of flies and maggots. Seems to help, but I hope it doesn't irritate the prolapsed tissue. Sprayed with betadyne. Put her in crate. She seems happy right now, but I don't have high hopes

I just found my year old leghorn dead. I never had any problems in the past with her or odd behavior. When i went in the coop to do the nightly check i seen her laying on the ground with her back end under a low shelf and he head behind the food bowl. I automatically knew something was wrong when i picked her up she was hard and the only thing i seen wrong with her was this red bloody organ looking thing that was hanging from her behind. After reading this post and seeing pictures. I think this may have been what my girl died of.

Sorry for your loss. prolapsed vents or cloacas can be common in birds who lay a lot of eggs. Did you notice how much was outside, or if any of the others had noticed it and had pecked at it? That is always the danger if they have it and it can get injured. One common cause of a prolapse is egg bound or constipation. Here is a good article to read to learn more about prolapses:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

Back
Top Bottom