Prolapsed vent — Sucked it back in (Pictures)

The pictures are too blurry to really help. It does appear that it was a prolapse. If it stays in, then it may never happen again. It could have been a larger than usual egg, rough, or something else that made it harder for her to pass. Some birds will prolapse once and never again, some birds will do it repeatedly. I would keep an eye on her, make sure she lays normally and has no difficulties going forward. If it happens again, it's important that you keep that prolapsed tissue moist so that it does not dry out, until you can get it to stay in. If it dries out, it will become necrotic and that will be bad news for the bird. I will attach a link with more info on prolapse, and how to treat. Sometimes, it can take time to get a prolapse to stay in, sometimes days, and repeatedly putting it back in and holding it. It will often come back out every time the bird strains, either to poop or because the swelling makes them feel like they need to pass something. If a bird prolapses and it's not seen quickly then sometimes other birds will peck at it and cause a lot of damage, and that may not be recoverable from, so separating them from the flock until it's resolved is necessary.
When treating a prolapse I most commonly use hydrocortisone ointment and honey. The honey does a very good job of keeping it moist, and also helps with the swelling. I put them in a wire crate lined with puppy pads or clean bath towels in a warm, dark place (the darkness will help stop them laying for a while) so I can monitor and treat, reapply ointments, replace the prolapse as needed, and keep them clean.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

The pictures aren't very clear but...
Prolapses don't usually suck back in. They can contract with treatment and some can be pushed back in.
If your hen is acting normally and her vent is back to normal and you have male chickens, especially a cockerel or more than one rooster/cockerel I'm going to guess what you've seen is your hen practicing contraception.
This is a guess and if one hasn't seen this happen then the tendency will be to dismiss this as nonsense.
Hens have the ability to prevent sperm reaching their eggs. One doesn't read much about it but it's a fact.

https://www.livescience.com/15828-chickens-eject-sperm.html

There are very few studies about this and exactly how she does this is rarely explained.

I've seen similar to what you describe twice in over twenty years of observing chickens.
The first time I saw this a hen called Bluespot who had a long term partner of eight years (Harold) got caught by a young cockerel and was mated by this cockerel. Being the most senior hen in her tribe Bluespot was not interested in mating with any junior males and further his genes with hers. I was lucky. I saw the mating and what I assumed at the time was some kind of prolapse.
After the mating Bluespot jumped up on to one of the terraces and much to my horror at the time turned her vent inside out, for want of a better description. I watched the whole business. About an inch of her vagina got pushed out and it stayed out for around a minute, then she sucked it back in and carried on as normal.
Naturally I was concerend and I checked on Bluespot for the rest of the day at regular intervals. She was fine, completely normal.

I was living in Catalonia at the time and had a few friends who were extremely knowledgeable about chicken behaviour. I spoke to one of these friends and he told me that this was a hen who was rejecting the sperm from an unwanted mating. Apparently, the turning the vagina inside out, usually in sunlight, kills the sperm that is deposited on the vaginal walls.

I saw the same thing a couple of years later with another senior hen who got caught by a junior cockerel.

If you can find no signs of ill health and no signs that she has a prolapse and she is behaving normally in all other respects then I suggest you consider the above and, consider yourself lucky to have seen the event.

Back
Top Bottom