Prolapsed vent and oozing white stuff

Many use hydrocortisone cream, but anything to keep it from drying out is important. It can take awhile for it to stay inside. The white material is probably urates (pee.) The urates come out through part of the cloaca, called the urodeum. The poop comes out throught the proctodeum.
1679429865726.jpeg

My 2.5 year old Plymouth Rock, Lucy, had a very dirty bottom yesterday. ( I’ve been away for a few days) and hubby was on chicken watch. Anyway, I noticed a lot of white gunk on Lucy’s bottom. Upon closer inspection, it is a prolapsed vent, the size of a small egg hanging out. I bathed her, sprayed vetericyn, and applied cortisone 10 as that was on hand. The picture I’m attaching is this morning. It seems to have gone in some, but lots of white gunk still. She has a good appetite and doesn’t seem to feel bad at all. I would be so grateful to know next steps to help my sweet girl. Than you so much!View attachment 3436256View attachment 3436257
The prolapsed vent can be gently cleaned with warm soap and water, gently dried, and coated with honey. The honey will lubricate, protect, soothe, and act as germ killer. After lubricated with honey, gently push the prolapsed back into the vent with a lubricated finger. Keep inside in sick bay so you can make sure prolapse does not reoccur. Treat with ACV in water, and Rosemary natural antibacterial to combat any infections. I have cured several with the white discharge, a yeast infection, using this treatment. Warm baths cause birds to relax muscles, mine all LOVE a warm blow drier as well. I got my Rosemary treatment from "My Pet Chicken", and just used it as preventative to healthy flock after removing a Roo with respiratory infection. I would be afraid the Veteracin would sting, but I've never tried it.

The prolapsed vent can be gently cleaned with warm soap and water, gently dried, and coated with honey. The honey will lubricate, protect, soothe, and act as germ killer. After lubricated with honey, gently push the prolapsed back into the vent with a lubricated finger. Keep inside in sick bay so you can make sure prolapse does not reoccur. Treat with ACV in water, and Rosemary natural antibacterial to combat any infections. I have cured several with the white discharge, a yeast infection, using this treatment. Warm baths cause birds to relax muscles, mine all LOVE a warm blow drier as well. I got my Rosemary treatment from "My Pet Chicken", and just used it as preventative to healthy flock after removing a Roo with respiratory infection. I would be afraid the Veteracin would sting, but I've never tried it.
What about the purple part? And can I use any honey?

How did your chicken end up doing? I’m in the same boat right now with a buff. Prolapse keeps coming out and has white stuff on it. Been pushing it back in with preparation H but it seems like after 10 min she pushes it back out. Also it feels almost like there’s a scab on it.

The oozing white stuff is urine. Has she been able to pass a normal dropping since she has been prolapsed? Sometimes they cannot poop. There could be an egg stuck, but giving 600 mg of calcium with D once a day is helpful to increase the muscle contractions. Does it feel like an egg inside? Keep her vent clean, apply the cortisone to keep it from drying, and try to push the prolapse in periodically and hold it. Hopefully, it will go back in.
What if poop is stuck to the vent after multiple baths? I have pushed her vent in, but it comes back out & I feel like I shouldn't push it in while it has feces on it.

Back
Top Bottom