Prolapsed vent life expectancy

Peggysday

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2023
Hello, I have a Barred Rock that has had a prolapsed vent for 4 days. How long can she live if I can't get it back in? We have given her Epsom baths,taken 50 million maggots off of her (on the protrusion), used spray, coconut oil, antibiotic ointment and have kept her in the house 3 nights. It's is better but not much better. she is eating and no more maggots have bothered her. I've never culled a chicken before and I want to give her a chance, but don't want her to suffer. Expect for the protrusion she seems normal-eating drinking and interacting with other chickens. No chickens have pecked at it ( she was one of the top chickens in the pecking order.
So.... can she live like this? will it eventually go back in or am I just prolonging her life? It will not go back in.
Thank you for any advise.
IMG_4589.jpeg

No she can't live with it. Once the other chickens discover it they will go after her. She may live a week or two but the kindest thing to do would be to end her life.

If you can't get it to stay in, then long term the prognosis would be very poor. The tissue will dry out, become necrotic, and she won't live.
Have you tried using a wrap to keep it in? I've had a couple of birds that took almost a week before the prolapse would stay in, I would wrap it to help hold it in longer, they often push it back out when they strain to poop. This link has some pictures on how to do it, just leave a small slit for the droppings to come out, but cover the vent to hold the prolapse in.
It will also help keep the tissue moist. Make sure you continue to keep it moist.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/successful-vent-prolapse-treatment-with-photos.1101406/
If all fails, and you cannot get it to stay in, then she will either be cannibalized by others or she will die of infection. Very much up to you when you think all possible has been tried, it's not wrong to euthanize in these kind of situations. With the addition of the flystrike (the maggots) damage, healing may take longer.

Back
Top Bottom