Prolapsed vent or strange egg?

It's very hard to tell what is happening there.
To me, it looks like the opening for the large intestine, is poop coming from the protrusion?

I'd do as suggested, get the calcium into her, keep her hydrated. Give soaks if she's not distressed, do keep the exposed tissue/protrusion(s) moist with your ointment/oils like you have been doing, you don't want that to dry out.

It's very hard to tell what is happening there.
To me, it looks like the opening for the large intestine, is poop coming from the protrusion?

I'd do as suggested, get the calcium into her, keep her hydrated. Give soaks if she's not distressed, do keep the exposed tissue/protrusion(s) moist with your ointment/oils like you have been doing, you don't want that to dry out.
Thank you. I just went to check on her before bed. She had pooped but I'm not sure if it came out of the end of that it was kind of all over. I suspect it is the opening for the large intestine tho, not good I think. There is a dark mass on one side of it. After cleaning and applying the various creams I decided to try you gently insert it in again. This afternoon it came right back out but this time it did not and almost felt like she sucked it away from me a bit, so I put her straight to bed and we'll see tomorrow. I'll take another photo if it has come out again. Thank you all for your help.

Update day 3: after inserting the protrusion 4 times it finally stayed in overnight last night. Unfortunately, yesterday as I was preparing her bath she pecked at it, so it will need to heal and hopefully not become infected. I have her on oil of oregano as a natural antibiotic, calcium supplement, I withheld food yesterday and gave her scrambled egg this morning and some fresh greens from the garden (calendula and dandelion). She is drinking and walking around my laundry room. I want to keep her inside until she lays an egg as I'm still not sure if it was her oviduct or intestine protruding. I am planning to keep her light exposure below 8 hours per day for a week to let it heal before gradually reintegrating her with the flock. Any advice is appreciated :)

Day 5: she is doing well overall. I had to pop it back in once yesterday and she had pecked it again, so it was bloody, but much shorter than before. It hasn't come out at all today and when she pooped there was only a little blood. She spent most of the day outside in a bottomless dog crate on the grass which seemed to cheer her up. I'm continuing with the calcium and oil of oregano. She is still sleeping in the laundry room in a covered tote, although she'd prefer to sleep on top of the washing machine :)

Attachments

• 20230824_200757.jpg
    20230824_200757.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 2
I'm glad she's still hanging in there.

She's definitely giving you the stink eye because you're wanting to move her from the washing machine - it's like

Don't. Do. It... 🤣

Day 9: she's still going strong. Spent last night in the little coop with her little sisters and the day out in the yard with everyone. Doing well, I don't think she's laid an egg yet and I will be keeping a close eye on her. I've stopped the calcium supplements and oil of oregano now and just make sure she has access to oyster shell along with her food. 🤞

Day 9: she's still going strong. Spent last night in the little coop with her little sisters and the day out in the yard with everyone. Doing well, I don't think she's laid an egg yet and I will be keeping a close eye on her. I've stopped the calcium supplements and oil of oregano now and just make sure she has access to oyster shell along with her food. 🤞
That's good news!
I hope she has no more issues.

That's good news!
I hope she has no more issues.
A month later and she's doing well. The 4 new girls are integrated into the main coop now. I can't tell who is laying and only get one or two pullet eggs per day, but there has been no further prolapse. I just thought I'd update here in case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation. There is hope, just keep it clean and keep pushing it back in!

Back
Top Bottom