Prolapsed Vent -- Vent Gleet? Both? Something else? *Graphic*

Vallee1901

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2018
Hi Everyone! Looking for some advice --

Yesterday morning I found my Golden Comet with her head in the corner of the coop being pecked at by her mates. Her bum was covered in thick red blood so I immediately separated her from the flock and started researching -- It appears her vent may have prolapsed and her girls got a chunk out of it. I got her in a warm bath and cleaned her up and attempted to get the prolapse to get back in but it wouldn't go. Needing to go to work and research more I put her in a little crate in the dark with some water to keep her calm and warm.

I8Pe0JH0-VdingsF-dQ-M4xTz0IEv6w_6ZWzb-YiPCF7972zfe8OFdFKDyVwpkGxUFYNTDC1qB3TYwz20m03_lN3xvgySeORHap0bwBdq4r2tNpGiRTPAWYKz3sWcxjemCjCE2rDofcjDvBUe7i-WZZ992-xlblLEOxS7zZWrhGLbBip5qYmsdJSWDwK6SK3pHyEtweOWTr5gvDOSHEAX0I6ZUcM423GX5xGoKOZYUssGPxStGPbZNZff1wjJ62v2u7RtIyXnddAfRgm37EOjT4QMIB-CIhCmF_KeqSqXZwN4gWe-HA5zzTL9r1RHaAUvcijOAdPdOU3Kd-HMWTFglOS0K8dmEOrLZRtA8SQC2WKENjbDYEEtxvr9rfB5Kw2lp-WrMHRQB8sjtXQZYaugqABaNHeVcW3I5jaZu6WqBM4lNUifiObsYpwzQvi6eKU65lyAuFsF6BU_4vYGwHGOPvw56NemjT6T2svFPElOB40nxX1zLon9S0Y2Dc7WHhkJgQoNwFurqW60AOHzHEaEZ0xdjw6WFJB3UBTNXbfnSkmsnEOHb91JVUBIupHUx0ejYPEFgruOYrNGB5AwGWlqRaoNB-xRHvhR-_nqjjX7wI9Ms4U2aZOFJlHSpRfVTCPR5xAcOQjvSBTsyGVb2diqhpAng=w718-h957-no

You can see where the other hens have torn her pretty good.

After I got home from work I soaked her again in some warm water and Epsom Salt bath and tried to get that sucker to go back in. I used Vaseline and honey. I would hold the area for a while and then it would pop back out. I blew her dry and got her into her clean cage where I gave her half a hard boiled egg with a bit of ground up egg shell on top and she ate it all up.

This morning when I woke up it appears she is leaking....
D4vjxuwioGdKMRY3TPk1XObuekELyfk8oCHonpr4LgPqiilhSozreGn6L8zEKneicTjzCa93PGA9Z98ueJXiFdDAW77UsK2DNHbQMegmfIOJcIyK6rNLKPchjFx-8ZvLJco2Hb2Z6jyKI1Ru4Uclr08EJ7Zge7j9LSOMci0eCdEXgZJBxCDz7Miyax9gNdodGVN0zEDMY1nS3tHBP-Qc9L5HaQyyP3uDyQZV0M7FKz3nurl2LAxedbjWxC2BWsjjkT_btEYM8XPyalb8eLgmu8ns7Tdt7EaFJm1klIRwqSxPshkGvhYSnNLw88JamYv0e4qwXe-ga6PaD96aaeWYfA-jeFR5bRa2u6nH5-MkO78WAjek9JRhuJmpoQwgZsOe7sbwiOmIhNzDzJrq--WalaDxuJply19t48q9vRlQpjNOBlI_92F6XNjUKuM_bmbM8rF1xnp4zFC3kwcPhjzgSIIFOEV6shapcivf5ttzunoPExdxFwRsYyU1kO0cDKZqe71El34Q4RXF3ad2RyEXJihdLTAz0E7ghyPt-HzVpURtIQ45YND4fkzTpxcRw6CefGdDuu_FhTEowkAp3SYmCnxUdnCC_oaVqW4ABSPnyhsyKFy_q4CAXk6WESuB5F-VMrfXlqATCs_geFi9ZhzXQGoCwQ=w718-h957-no

Clearly, this isn't normal... Im not sure if its gleet, if she has an egg broken inside of her, what the heck is going on, but I feel terrible and I need to fix her because the next option is going to be to cull her.

Her poop has been fine as of yesterday, when I tried to push her vent back in she pooped in my hand 2 times. I didn't see much in her crate today but I was assuming that is because she is on a restricted diet. But it hasn't been bloody or runny what I have seen. I'll know more when I get home tonight..

If anyone has an idea, please let me know what is happening to my poor girl. I'm going to go home and clean her cage out again and give her the spa treatment again and give her some ACV + Molasses in her water, + plain yogurt along with her dinner again and keep on trying....

Attachments

• 20181129_092730.jpg
    20181129_092730.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 20181130_084559.jpg
    20181130_084559.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
That looks like a old picked prolapse and the material looks like it’s egg material.
Soak her in warm water. Just enough water to cover her vent. It will probably feel good to her. Get it clean. You may have to soak for a few days. Get her good and dry after.
You could apply Preperation H to the swollen tissue (after cleaning). Hold the prolapse in place. (I’ve actually seen worse ones).
You should separate her until it heals up. The other will continue to peck it. This will give you a chance to monitor food and water intake along with her poop/vent.
With a little TLC she should improve in a short amount of time. Best wishes

Oh thank you so much for responding so quickly. I'm stopping at the store now to get PrepH and going to keep on working on getting her to feel better. Any suggestions of what/how much food I should be giving her as she hangs out in the house with us and gets better?

Oh thank you so much for responding so quickly. I'm stopping at the store now to get PrepH and going to keep on working on getting her to feel better. Any suggestions of what/how much food I should be giving her as she hangs out in the house with us and gets better?
I’d let her free feed on her regular feed. Watch that she’s really eating....not just going through the
Motions. Good luck keep us posted.

I’d let her free feed on her regular feed. Watch that she’s really eating....not just going through the
Motions. Good luck keep us posted.

So it appears now that she has an egg in there. I gave her a 20 minute soak with Epsom salt. Then when I was getting ready to attend to the vent that area was very hard. And when I put my finger into the vent I can feel an egg... I massaged her abdomen a bit, but she seemed uncomfortable. Her feathers are all fluffed up, so I've put her back in the crate with some food and water. She pecked at the food a bit but doesnt seem interested.

Poor thing is also all black and blue from the vent trauma.

Attachments

• 20181130_194833.jpg
    20181130_194833.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 50
She just might lay the egg in the water. Soak her again as soon as you can don’t be afraid to leave her in there a good long while (don’t leave her alone.) If she’s out now, coat the vent with lubricant or oil even a thin layer of Vaseline. TUMS has always worked for me (so far) the shot of calcium in the Tums seems to help. You can always repeat the process first thing in the morning. The preparation H can act like a lubricant too. Keeping the vent lubed will help. She’s pushed so hard that’s why she prolapsed. Give her tums in what ever works a piece of grape, stuffed into a bit of hotdog anything you can think of. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom