Prolapsed vent

lagriega

Songster
6 Years
Sep 24, 2014
Prolapsed vent in a Bantam chicken ....soaked her in warm bath sprayed prolapse with vetricin put lubricant on it and put pressure to push back in, changed food from layer pellets to cracked corn,cutting back on amount of light...have her inside in cage...read co.ments about giving calcium... not sure what ki d of calcium or the amount? Can you use tums and if so how much? Is thete any thing else I should do.If prolapse does not stay in how often do I keep pushi g back in?

How is your hen doing?

Calcium supplementation is regularly recommended for cases of dystocia, prolapses, or egg binding to help enhance muscle contractions in the oviduct and to better strengthen eggshell formation. For supplemental calcium, you can use one calcium citrate + D3, or Calcium gluconate 23% given at 0.2ml per pound, orally. Tums can also be used, anecdotally, I have given around a pill at a time, but the tums form calcium carbonate, does not stay in the system very long, therefore, the other supplements may be preferred.

In addition to calcium supplementation, ensure the hen is hydrated well, to further ensure that, you can offer sugar water or an electrolyte such as Gatorade, or Sav-a-Chick.

I would not switch her over to cracked corn, she should be on layer feed, cracked corn will help induce the problem from reoccurring due to the several minerals, and vitamins it lacks. If the prolapse reoccurs, try using something like DMSO, or preparation H on the tissue, to better reduce any edema going on. If it continues to prolapse, it is likely she has an egg further up the oviduct creating pressure on the tissue, in which case ovocentesis, and bilateral sutures placed on the vent may be needed.

Have you tried sugar water or Epsom salt? Only two that have ever helped one of mine draw in a prolapse vent.

Have you tried sugar water or Epsom salt? Only two that have ever helped one of mine draw in a prolapse vent.
I guess you soak in the Epsom salt...do you give sugar water to fri k or soak or apt to prolapse?

How is your hen doing?

Calcium supplementation is regularly recommended for cases of dystocia, prolapses, or egg binding to help enhance muscle contractions in the oviduct and to better strengthen eggshell formation. For supplemental calcium, you can use one calcium citrate + D3, or Calcium gluconate 23% given at 0.2ml per pound, orally. Tums can also be used, anecdotally, I have given around a pill at a time, but the tums form calcium carbonate, does not stay in the system very long, therefore, the other supplements may be preferred.

In addition to calcium supplementation, ensure the hen is hydrated well, to further ensure that, you can offer sugar water or an electrolyte such as Gatorade, or Sav-a-Chick.

I would not switch her over to cracked corn, she should be on layer feed, cracked corn will help induce the problem from reoccurring due to the several minerals, and vitamins it lacks. If the prolapse reoccurs, try using something like DMSO, or preparation H on the tissue, to better reduce any edema going on. If it continues to prolapse, it is likely she has an egg further up the oviduct creating pressure on the tissue, in which case ovocentesis, and bilateral sutures placed on the vent may be needed.

She is about the same the prolapse came back out. I will not give the corn and have put save a chick in her water.I only have tums right now so I gave her that.Can you send me a link for the proper calcium that I could order online? Her poop looks a little different...the one from the evening when she rooster looks the same but during day it is smaller pieces. I sprayed today again eith vetricin put water based luv on it and put pressure on it to push back in.Did not stay.

Back
Top Bottom