Prolapsed vent

chickenmomma16

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Buckley, Washington
I have 2 pullets (almost 1 yr) with a prolapsed vent. I have my theory on why it happened but I’ll save that for another day. the girls are my priority now. One is thinking about going broody so that will help her stop laying and help her prolapse. The other keeps prolapsing and I’m at my wits end. Give it to me straight, no beating around the bush... Can these girls be helped? Or will it keep happening? Should I just cull them? I like to give everything a fighting chance but I hate to sound harsh but I’m a busy mom and I can’t dote on chickens all day. I tried to see if someone could take them on but no responses. They are sweet girls and lay blue eggs.

Prolapsed cloaca can happen for a number of reasons, and it may happen again. Calcium deficiency, being overweight, and having to wait to lay may be some of the causes. Are you feeding a layer type feed, along with having crushed oyster shell available for free taking? Do you have enough nest boxes for the number of layers you have? What are you doing for treatment? Does the prolapse go back in, or come back out? A lot depends on if any of the tissue has dried out or become necrotic. Can you post any pictures? Here is a good article to read about causes and treatment for prolapses:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

Prolapsed cloaca can happen for a number of reasons, and it may happen again. Calcium deficiency, being overweight, and having to wait to lay may be some of the causes. Are you feeding a layer type feed, along with having crushed oyster shell available for free taking? Do you have enough nest boxes for the number of layers you have? What are you doing for treatment? Does the prolapse go back in, or come back out? A lot depends on if any of the tissue has dried out or become necrotic. Can you post any pictures? Here is a good article to read about causes and treatment for prolapses:
Are you feeding a layer type feed, along with having crushed oyster shell available for free taking?
I’d rather not feed layer to my roosters. I feed Nutrena All flock with limited treats. Always have Oyster shell available. And my birds do eat it. I’ve seen these particular pullets eat it as well.

Do you have enough nest boxes for the number of layers you have?
Hmmmm... never thought about this. I have about 27 hens/pullets and 5 nest boxes but the majority of them prefer to lay in only 2. I’ve tried to encourage them to lay in the other 3 but they are chickens... and stubborn.

What are you doing for treatment?
I was following other advice and cold hosed/cleaned her up and put honey on her vent. I gently pushed everything back in and put a diaper on with a rolled up rag on her vent for some pressure to keep it in. Took it off after a couple hours and they keep it in for a time. Longest it stayed in was 2 days. Then they laid eggs and this is the 3rd time I’ve tried to help them and keep their prolapse in.

Does the prolapse go back in, or come back out?
See above. It won’t go in on its own. And comes back out with or without laying an egg.

A lot depends on if any of the tissue has dried out or become necrotic. Can you post any pictures?
I will try and get photos later. It isn’t narcotic, the worst one had some dried scabs and after I cold hosed her vent I was able to get them off. It’s definitely an angry red color. In the article you sent mentioned hydrocortisone cream, might try that today. There seems to be a million different ways to treat this. Each article I read says something different.

So as of this AM one of the pullets looks good so far. She’s clean, dry, and no prolapse. The other one I cannot get her to stay in. This is what she looked like this morning BEFORE I cleaned her up so excuse the messy bum. I know it looks gross. Feeling like a bad chicken parent.
Edited to add: I forgot to lock her kennel last night so she escaped and I think she laid an egg this AM when she was out. I’ve brought her inside now so I can try and monitor her better.

Attachments

• 6D507D28-43D2-4F62-9EDA-DCC49A287DCE.jpeg
    6D507D28-43D2-4F62-9EDA-DCC49A287DCE.jpeg
    457.2 KB · Views: 12
So as of this AM one of the pullets looks good so far. She’s clean, dry, and no prolapse. The other one I cannot get her to stay in. This is what she looked like this morning BEFORE I cleaned her up so excuse the messy bum. I know it looks gross. Feeling like a bad chicken parent.
Edited to add: I forgot to lock her kennel last night so she escaped and I think she laid an egg this AM when she was out. I’ve brought her inside now so I can try and monitor her better.
I am so sorry you’re going through this ordeal. I had a beloved Red Sex link who had to happen. We brought her to a Vet who reduced it and applied a couple of sutures, but they had to be removed because she wasn’t able to pass an egg. We tried gently pushing it back in and then applying diaper like bandage, daily Epsom salts baths, preparation H. Nothing solved the problem. We didn’t want her to continue suffering as she was such a good little chicken so She had to be culled we were so heart broken 🥺

I am so sorry you’re going through this ordeal. I had a beloved Red Sex link who had to happen. We brought her to a Vet who reduced it and applied a couple of sutures, but they had to be removed because she wasn’t able to pass an egg. We tried gently pushing it back in and then applying diaper like bandage, daily Epsom salts baths, preparation H. Nothing solved the problem. We didn’t want her to continue suffering as she was such a good little chicken so She had to be culled we were so heart broken 🥺
On I’m so sorry! I hate to loose one of the girls.💔

I’m happy to report that both girls recovered and are back to laying. I think hydrocortisone cream was my key. And the fact that I restricted feed and was able to be home with them for a few days in a row so I could push it back in as soon as they pushed it out. It was a long week let me tell you! But I’m glad my girls made it. I believe they both prolapsed due to a feeding issue. My daughter tossed way too many uncooked oats into their run a couple days in a row and I think it messed them up. It had to be something environmental for 2 pullets to prolapse almost at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom