Prolapsed vent.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whillo, Jul 23, 2011.

1. whillo

whillo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Willamette Valley
    Hi Chicken Peoples! I haven't been to the forum in awhile. My girls are now a year old and for the months before they came and until they were gangly tweens, I pretty much devoured these pages and thank everyone for all their stories, insights, and knowledge. I couldn't have done it without you. No matter where I searched, I always ended back on the BYC.

I'm writing today just to let some newbies such as myself know that the honey works! Well, it worked for me. My funny little bantam EE had periodic prolapsed vent when she was about 4 months old. I watched it and it went away. Last week I noticed that it was pretty bulbous. I cleaned her and washed her and used the preparation H. It would go back in for a couple hours and then it was out again. I searched further on here and found the honey. I didn't understand why, but I tried it. It popped in immediately and it's been 6 days and she's doing great. There is no way I could have culled this girl myself, and the cost of chicken surgery was out of the question right now.

So just wanted to share my success story. I realize six days is not an extremely long time to judge "success" but for now, she's a happy little camper and so am I!

Thank you BYC!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Keep an eye on her and realize that prolapsing generally indicates a weakness in the reproductive apparatus. I would hesitate to incubate any of her eggs if she resumes egglaying.

3. whillo

whillo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Willamette Valley
    Thanks Sour. I do check her a couple times a day. We don't have a rooster. She's been laying every day. My most consistent layer. Do you think we shouldn't eat her eggs? Would we be able to look at them when opened and see if something was wrong with them?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I can't think of any reason that her eggs would not be good to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by