Prolapsed Vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by miraclz5, Feb 27, 2013.

1. miraclz5

miraclz5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Does anyone have any experience with a hen with a prolapsed vent? We discovered our almost 2 yr old Golden Laced Wyandotte presented with a prolapsed vent this morning. We have tried a couple of times, after cleaning it, applying antibiotic ointment to push it back in place....sadly we have not had any luck. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Andrea

2. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    I used preparation H and it helped alot. The vent did go back in.

3. BaileyFarm

BaileyFarm Out Of The Brooder

Hi Miraclz5! My 2 yr old leghorn had the same problem. Seperate her from the flock to avoid pecking. With a rubber gloved finger and some non pain killing hemorrhoid cream push the protruding tissue back in. You may have to repeat this a couple of times. When the swelling goes down return her to the flock. I got this advice from my vet. It worked for me. I hope it works for you!

4. miraclz5

miraclz5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Thank you! We tried 3 times yesterday with Vaseline as a animal husbandry book suggested. I will get some preparation H today when I am out and try that. Keeping our fingers crossed and praying!

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I do not think that vaseline would be of any use in helping to shrink the prolapse, as has been suggested use prep-h or honey, keep your eye on her as she may also have an infection from the prolapse, you may need to dose her with an antibiotic.

Good luck

Suzie

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

She might also have an eggs still in there.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by