Prolapsed vent

Cheryl1948

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 13, 2013
Randleman, NC
Hi irischick,

I think in your case maybe you should wait until it seems she is 100% and then put the crate in the run for a while each day for a couple of days, so they can get used to her again. Sounds like you have a small coop. Mine is huge. It is an 8X16 cabin I renovated into a really pretty coop, with a 16X20 run. So, I have no problem putting a big dog crate inside my coop when I need to separate anyone from the flock (broody hens hatching eggs)

Then, maybe after a couple of days go down at night and slip her in on the roosting pole with the others. I didn't keep my hen separated but one day and she wasn't harassed by the others at all. But, you have kept yours out a while.

Hope she continues to improve!

Cheryl

irischick

Songster
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
Thanks Cheryl, that is what I was thinking. Our coop is actually hand designed and built - it is 8 x 12 and the attached run is 8 x 25 feet covered in hardware cloth. In the run they have water, sand box and roosting bars that they enjoy during the day.

Thanks for your help. Have a wonderful day.
Karen

irischick

Songster
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
Good news this morning. As of last night, her vent is all healed and has stayed in tact for 24 hours. I put her dog crate in the run with the hens to get her acclimated again to them. I will let her run with them tomorrow and see how it goes. I attempt the suggestion of putter her on the roosting bars with the other girls tonight.

Thanks everyone for your help. You are awesome!!!
Have a great day.
Karen

Cheryl1948

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 13, 2013
Randleman, NC
Fantastic news irischick! Not trying to be negative, but do check her everyday because once it has occurred it can happen again. It may be a few days, weeks or months, but hopefully NEVER!

You're a good "hen vet"....ha ha

Cheryl

Top Bottom