Prolapsing hens because of worms?

ChickonLand

Chirping
Apr 3, 2017
I have a hen that prolapsed because of worms last week, we sadly had to put her down.

Now I have two more hens that look similar... their back ends are red and loosing feathers, is anyone else familiar with this?

Are they fat?
Are you sure you don’t have a canibal in the group? Any missing feathers back there? This is fixable.
They are good sized, not fat. The hen who died had not lost any weight, her back end that just burst and worm were crawling out... sorry for the details.

The concern I have is that these two other hens have some white around their vent, and their vents are red

They are good sized, not fat. The hen who died had not lost any weight, her back end that just burst and worm were crawling out... sorry for the details.

The concern I have is that these two other hens have some white around their vent, and their vents are red
Are you sure they weren't maggots?

How can I tell the difference?

they were half cm long worms, there were a lot of flies around and in the poop caked to her bum there were little maggots
I think you are dealing with fly strike/maggots and not worms.

You need to wash the remaining ones up and see if they have maggots in them too. If so...I'm afraid it's not good.

I have a hen that prolapsed because of worms last week, we sadly had to put her down.

Now I have two more hens that look similar... their back ends are red and loosing feathers, is anyone else familiar with this?

How can I tell the difference?

they were half cm long worms, there were a lot of flies around and in the poop caked to her bum there were little maggots
Can you post some photos of the 2 hens that are showing similar symptoms?

I agree, it sounds like you are dealing with maggots and possibly some vent picking.
I would be a good idea to gather them up and wash their vents, remove all the caked up poop and examine them closely for maggots and wounds.

Thanks all for your help. I do believe my other hen had worms, because inside the hole of the infection were large worms. Yes, she did also have maggots on her outside.

I ran outside and looked over my other hen individually. A few of them had poopy bums so I gave them a quick wash. Their skin and vent all look fine and clean... no infection! One of them had a red bum but it went away after the bath. I think it's all good whewwwwww. Thanks for the info, I'm glad I can finally put a name to what my hen died from.

Thanks all for your help. I do believe my other hen had worms, because inside the hole of the infection were large worms. Yes, she did also have maggots on her outside.

I ran outside and looked over my other hen individually. A few of them had poopy bums so I gave them a quick wash. Their skin and vent all look fine and clean... no infection! One of them had a red bum but it went away after the bath. I think it's all good whewwwwww. Thanks for the info, I'm glad I can finally put a name to what my hen died from.
I'm glad the other 2 are o.k.

If you do believe your other hen had worms in addition to the FlyStrike, it would be a very good idea to collect some poop of the 2 hens you have and have your vet test for worms.

Back
Top Bottom