Prolonged incubation and no hatchig

Colorado Joe

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 8, 2014
First time hatcher. I purchased 2 hatching eggs online and had them sent to me. They arrived on 9/17. I placed them in the incubator and waited. The eggs were shipping on 9/15 which means they were layed on or before the 15th. I candled them on "what my estimation was given by the ship date of 9/15" on day 18. One egg was scrambled and the other egg looks great (air sack increasing in size daily and currently about 1/4 size of egg). The good egg has been moving quite a lot since "day 18" and is still moving after 4 days and still no peep sound or pip. Humidity was increased as well. My question is: Even if I started the 21 day countdown when the eggs arrived, I am now on day 22, is this a cause for alarm or should I just be happy that the egg is still moving and will it eventually hatch? On mail order eggs, (knowing that they aren't at incubation temp) does that slow the incubation process until they are in the incubator?
Incubation specs below
Temp : 99.5
RH: 49-50%
Automatic turning 3-4 times a day
90 minute cooling period per day
Humidity increased to 75% on day 18

The day you set the eggs in the incubator is day 0, the next day is day 1, so you may only be on day 20. It doesn't matter what day an egg is laid, they only start to develop once placed in the incubator or a broody hen sits on it for an extended time.

I hope your egg hatches, I would give it a few more days!

Hi :welcome
Glad you joined the flock. Darkbluespace is right incubation only begins when the eggs have reached the optimum temperature. So day 1 is counted as a full 24 hours of incubation dat 2 48 hours and so on. Also I notice that you have them on a daily cool down period of 90 minutes I only do an hour cool down so with 90 minutes your eggs could take slightly longer to hatch. Did you start your cool down periods on day 7? Good luck with your egg and hope it hatches ok.

First time hatcher. I purchased 2 hatching eggs online and had them sent to me. They arrived on 9/17. I placed them in the incubator and waited. The eggs were shipping on 9/15 which means they were layed on or before the 15th. I candled them on "what my estimation was given by the ship date of 9/15" on day 18. One egg was scrambled and the other egg looks great (air sack increasing in size daily and currently about 1/4 size of egg). The good egg has been moving quite a lot since "day 18" and is still moving after 4 days and still no peep sound or pip. Humidity was increased as well. My question is: Even if I started the 21 day countdown when the eggs arrived, I am now on day 22, is this a cause for alarm or should I just be happy that the egg is still moving and will it eventually hatch? On mail order eggs, (knowing that they aren't at incubation temp) does that slow the incubation process until they are in the incubator?
Incubation specs below
Temp : 99.5
RH: 49-50%
Automatic turning 3-4 times a day
90 minute cooling period per day
Humidity increased to 75% on day 18
You have been given some correct advice, I will add----With shipped eggs you should allow them to sit for a day or two before putting them in the incubator, then on day 18 you should stop turning them, You need to increase the moisture and Then to me the most important thing the last 3 days(19, 20, 21)you should not be opening the incubator after day 18 to see what it is doing. You are loosing the humidity that is needed to hatch every time you open it. Good Luck

Thank you all for the information. Being a first time hatcher, it has definitely been a learning experience. Also, I knew that as soon as I posted, something would happen and we had a pip this morning so all is well. I will keep you posted once it's hatched.

Back
Top Bottom