Prolonged prolapse in non-laying hen

20Kmiles

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 20, 2016
hi, I have a 2 or 3 year old speckled Sussex hen having recurring prolapses. I've read all the threads but find myself confused because the condition seems to go hand in hand with being egg-bound or similar, and this hen is not laying. The prolapses started around the time she began to molt. I did give calcium citrate+D3 as suggested, but no eggs have passed. The pattern is thus: bird presents with small (less than one inch) of prolapsed tissue, red and runny, sometimes with feces stuck to it. I wash with warm water, cleanse with witch hazel, apply vetericyn antimicrobial, lubricate, and re-insert the tissue. She happily scoots off to dry off and act like a normal chicken, and then within 24-48 hours presents the same way. This has been going on roughly a month. I have ordered amoxicillin to try a course of that next/last.

Thoughts from the experts? Am I likely dealing with a tumor or some other foreign body causing the prolapse since there's no egg? She's a nice bird and I'm trying to give her a shot at getting past this but I'm probably not up for surgery.

Possibly reproductive disorder/internal laying.
A full set of photographs might help someone with a practiced eye; a full body photo while standing (for posture), a couple of good head shots, one of each eye, the nares, inside her mouth if she'll allow that, a clear shot of her vent and abdominal area, another of her poop. Might as well get a photo of the bottoms of her feet as well so that we can check for bumblefoot while we're at it.
While you are giving her a full inspection, take a pale terry rag and ruffle it under each wing, ruffle the feathers at the nape of her neck and also at the base of her tail, both top side and vent side with the rag too. The rag should come up with dirt on it; if that dirt is MOVING, then it's external parasites.
When a bird is under the weather, all sorts of other health issues are likely to rear their ugly head, so it pays to give them a thorough examination.

Sometimes prolapses occur from straining to poop or if there is lash egg material from internally laid egg material inside the oviduct. I would lubricate a clean finger and insert it to see if she is constipated. Give some chilled coconut oil cut into chunks to soften her droppings.

thanks to those who replied. fingers crossed, she seems to have recovered without further intervention. I'll keep a close eye on her for any changes. very grateful for these forums and particularly the thorough article from @azygous. I thought all prolapses were goners before reading and I'm glad that's not the case.

well, perhaps not surprisingly, after about a week this hen has prolapsed again. and now it's clear her body condition is extremely down. I cant get her to eat - even the soldier fly larvae and mealworms go ignored. but she'll walk all around the yard acting like she's foraging ALL DAY. first thing this morning when I took her off the roost pole to bring her in for treatment, I noticed her crop was completely packed - it feels hard like there's gravel in there. anyone have thoughts? impaction/blockage? I think we're nearing the end of the road here. 😔

well, perhaps not surprisingly, after about a week this hen has prolapsed again. and now it's clear her body condition is extremely down. I cant get her to eat - even the soldier fly larvae and mealworms go ignored. but she'll walk all around the yard acting like she's foraging ALL DAY. first thing this morning when I took her off the roost pole to bring her in for treatment, I noticed her crop was completely packed - it feels hard like there's gravel in there. anyone have thoughts? impaction/blockage? I think we're nearing the end of the road here. 😔
Try giving her coconut oil for impacted crop. Solid little balls of the coconut oil popped into her beak.

Back
Top Bottom