1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Proper Humidity Levels

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OcoeeG, Feb 3, 2009.

1. OcoeeG

OcoeeG Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2008
    Chattanooga
    Alright, there is a debate in our household, we have done the research. But we are disagreeing.

What is your preferred humidity for a still-air incubator?

It's a little giant incubator if that helps.

2. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    you really cant let any1 else tell you the perfect humidity as the humidy surrounding you and the bator differs from other people, like people in ny im sure dont need it as high as her ein cali but it mostly depends and where you live but a good set is somewhere around 40%-50% for the first 18 and 65% to 75% the last 3 days but you will see peole will say otherwards tho

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:[​IMG] This is true, what works well for one person in one part of the country sometimes doesn't work for another person. In my still airs I use the same humidity levels as the circulated air, 40 to 50% the first 18 days and 60 to 70% for the last 3 days.

4. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    see i use the same type to the still air but i raise my humidity a little more during hatching as i liv ein california where humidity is low and heat is high but im sure you will find the right amount iv seen where peole use a slow as 30 or 35 percent during incubation

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I hope mine work.

I have a 1588 and the temp hovers right around 99.6 with 50% Humidity. I'll bump it up to 75% when I take out the turners and put them in the paper cartons.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    40-50% while incubating (try to keep as close to 45 as possible) and 60-70% while hatching. Usually I up it to a little over 60% on day 18 and it spikes to 65-70% while they are hatching. If it goes under 40% while incubating the air cells get too big and several fail to pip. If it goes over 70% while hatching the slower ones or any downward pips drown.

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I am in Colorado. Our humidity levels are swinging wildly. I am luck if I can get the bator to hold 37%. I am going to try spritzing my eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by