Proplapsed vent?

NewchickNtender

Hatching
Apr 10, 2023
This is my first time ever owning chicks and today while cleaning the brooder I came across one of our babies that appears to have a prolapsed vent. I check every day for pasty butt, im not sure how she got overlooked šŸ˜­they are a week old today. I've soaked her, cleaned up, gave her a bit of coconut oil and electrolytes and vitamins to hopefully get things moving again. I put honey on her and pushed the prolapse back in. She's not straining as much as she was to poop but when she popped again, she prolapsed, but not as bad. I pushed it back in gently. Is there anything else I can do. I'm on the way to get preparation h and witch hazel.

Attachments

• 20230410_113751.jpg
    20230410_113751.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 55
Welcome To BYC

Sounds like you are on the right track treating her.
If the prolapsed tissue won't stay in, then keep it moist with ointment, oil or raw honey.

Work on keeping her hydrated and offer her some wet feed.

If the tissue is exposed, you may need to keep her separated so the other chicks don't pick at the prolapsed tissue, it can cause damage.

Welcome To BYC

Sounds like you are on the right track treating her.
If the prolapsed tissue won't stay in, then keep it moist with ointment, oil or raw honey.

Work on keeping her hydrated and offer her some wet feed.

If the tissue is exposed, you may need to keep her separated so the other chicks don't pick at the prolapsed tissue, it can cause damage.
Thank you. I have her separated at the moment. She hasn't prolapsed again but the vent/cloaca just seem very swollen still. I'm applying preparation h every time I check on her, just to keep things from sticking. She's got a good appetite and a strong voice so I'm hoping she pulls through.

It may take a few days for swelling to go down. It's good that the tissue is staying in.

If she does prolapse and it's really swollen, you can give her a soaking in a warm epsom salts bath. Do dry her very well so she doesn't chill, a hair dryer to dry the fluff helps, then apply your ointment. Keeping exposed tissue moist is extremely important, you don't want it to dry out it will become necrotic.

Sounds like she's hanging in there though! I hope the tissue stays in too.

Keep me posted on how she gets along.

Thank you for your help. She is nice and warm and dry at the moment. I am worried about her getting pasty butt during the night so I don't think I'll be getting much sleep šŸ˜… I soaked her in epsom salt a couple hours ago and she did really well with that. I hope she pulls through šŸ˜­

Back
Top Bottom