Pros and Cons of Ducks

Pro- VERY cute.. their pond water is excellent fertilizer!

Con- the MESS cannot be over-exaggerated! Finally someone mentioned FLIES. When I had them, the fly problem was quite horrible to be honest. I know it was directly the ducks and the mess they make because the flies "magically followed" from a rental house to another house.

When a bobcat visited and killed all the ducks and geese in a single night.. in a week the fly population dropped by well over a half. Nothing else was done, simply the ducks were here and then they were not.

The ducks were always free range, no cooping for them. Even on an acre, the mess they left were very noticeable and whoo, the flies..

I did not notice a smell while I had the ducks.. but, when I visited someone who had ducks recently, the yard had a very strong odor. He kept the yard clean, but well, hard to do anything about the constant wet around the waters & baths....

I love them and really really would love to get Runners(show stock of course).. but am being honest with myself- do not want to deal with that level of flies ever again so that is putting a kibosh on that.. so far.

I'd say if one has 'sensitive neighbors' who are quick to complain, ducks are not a good idea probably.

Here are my 2 call ducks at 2 weeks old

IMG_3365.jpg

Do you mix it in with the feed? We do that with our horses and it really helps.

When I put down fresh bedding, I put down DE first, then fresh shavings. As for the poo on the lawn, I hose it down when I fill up their water bucket. Only takes a few minutes and it dissolves. Much easier to take care of than dog poo
big_smile.png

Yes ducks are GREAT!

Yes the duck squirts poop out anywhere any time.

When you pick them up, it is always but away from you!!

My family and I have a saying.......

"I have a duck and I'm not afraid to use it!!" LOL LOL

My vet called me one day and said his dogs had brought 3 duck eggs up from the pond to his house......well they were hatching out. He could only save 1. He asked me if I wanted her, and I was over there lickety split !
It's been 1 year and 7 months now, and my "Mack" thinks I am her mate. She is the best "Puppy Duck" ever!!! Yes I know it's suppose to be puppy dog, buy my husband is allergic to dogs, so "Puppy Duck" it is!

I have to limit it to one duck, my kids love to dig in the back yard and run around barefoot on the grass.

Have Fun!!! And I love all of your ducky photos!!!

28041_miln2757.jpg

28041_miln2740.jpg

Last edited:
What is so messy about ducks? Is it the droppings? Or the mud they make?

'Cause they drink like this...
They eat pretty much the same way...flinging stuff everywhere
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom