Pros and cons of having a roo?

Number one, and really only, pro is being able to hatch chicks out of your flock.
They can help settle disputes within the flock, but not always.
I like the crowing.

Have had good luck with the 3 males I've kept, first one especially.
He came with my first flock which was mostly older(~18mo).
But also came with a young cockerel, who was a 'bad' one and my first slaughter.

The second I purchased purposely for a certain breed. At the same time I had hatched a few more, they all went to the pot and I learned a lot about the interaction between the males.

The third was hatched, he was a bit more troublesome until we came to an agreement, took quite a bit of work to get there, but he ended up being an excellent cockbird. He died this winter, and so far there has not been any serious issues with the girls figuring out their pecking order. Time will tell.

Just found out I accidentally brought home a rooster. To keep or to rehome? What are y’all’s experiences?
I suggest that if this is your first flock, and especially if you have little kids, you start planning to get rid of him. At least have a place ready to separate him if needed, if things get ugly it happens fast.

Number one, and really only, pro is being able to hatch chicks out of your flock.
They can help settle disputes within the flock, but not always.
I like the crowing.

Have had good luck with the 3 males I've kept, first one especially.
He came with my first flock which was mostly older(~18mo).
But also came with a young cockerel, who was a 'bad' one and my first slaughter.

The second I purchased purposely for a certain breed. At the same time I had hatched a few more, they all went to the pot and I learned a lot about the interaction between the males.

The third was hatched, he was a bit more troublesome until we came to an agreement, took quite a bit of work to get there, but he ended up being an excellent cockbird. He died this winter, and so far there has not been any serious issues with the girls figuring out their pecking order. Time will tell.

I suggest that if this is your first flock, and especially if you have little kids, you start planning to get rid of him. At least have a place ready to separate him if needed, if things get ugly it happens fast.
I agree ! No one should keep a rooster they can't trust around their kids. This roosters luck just ran out.

Back
Top Bottom