Protecting neighbor's chickens from my indoor/outdoor house cat

Two of my co-workers have done it, with help from the company. I have zero personal experience with my cats, and do use it for my dogs.
Call the local company! I might be all wrong as far as outdoor applications, so call and ask.
Mary

My chickens chase a neighborhood stray cat when it comes in the yard.
I have also witnessed my chickens attacking cats that get to close to where they are. For the most part the local feral cats stay away from the chickens but my indoor cats try to chase when they escape the house but the chickens attack them and they run back to the house to sulk.

A particularly stubborn cat was after my bantam hen years ago. He had 3 free rides to the pound.
I knew where he lived, and had spoken to the owner several times.
If they got him out (or were even allowed to) that last time I do not know.

A different cat was seen spraying my green beans the morning I had just picked 3 full grocery bags of beans. :mad:
That owner was gifted all 3 bags of beans.

I felt sorry for that cat. I would see him hunkered down by my dryer vent when it was -10°.

It is not difficult to contain a cat. Just sayin.

I have never had a cat bother my birds but have caught a couple in my live traps. I think they were feral. They acted like they wanted to kill me before I released them.

I've never heard of invisible fencing a cat. Have you done this? Does it really work? It seems like a fantastic idea.

We have an invisible fence with collars for our dogs. A special cat collar can be purchased to go with the same system (Petsafe brand). Of course it does not stop predators or neighborhood dogs from entering your property, but it does deter your pets from leaving your property/leaving the fence area. It was relatively economical (way cheaper than a traditional above ground fence), and easy to install. I know nothing about electrical and installed it myself. The kit comes with easy to follow instructions for both installation and training dogs and cats. There is also more information available online regarding training. We have been considering purchasing a collar for the indoor/outdoor cat, but he hasn't been wandering far (always within eyesight of the house) and comes when called, so we haven't felt the need anymore now that he is trained. I think to fence about 1/3 acre and have 2 collars I spent approximately $200. If I only needed one collar it would have been much less, as that's the most expensive piece. I have lots of wire left over and could have done a larger area without additional cost.

We have an invisible fence with collars for our dogs. A special cat collar can be purchased to go with the same system (Petsafe brand). Of course it does not stop predators or neighborhood dogs from entering your property, but it does deter your pets from leaving your property/leaving the fence area. It was relatively economical (way cheaper than a traditional above ground fence), and easy to install. I know nothing about electrical and installed it myself. The kit comes with easy to follow instructions for both installation and training dogs and cats. There is also more information available online regarding training. We have been considering purchasing a collar for the indoor/outdoor cat, but he hasn't been wandering far (always within eyesight of the house) and comes when called, so we haven't felt the need anymore now that he is trained. I think to fence about 1/3 acre and have 2 collars I spent approximately $200. If I only needed one collar it would have been much less, as that's the most expensive piece. I have lots of wire left over and could have done a larger area without additional cost.
Wow, thanks so much for sharing. We live on a horrible road. The cats mostly avoid it but at least doing the frontage would give us peace of mind.

I'm a little late to this party, but I love my catio & so do my cats. Well worth the time it took to build it. The cats can go in & out at their leisure & they stay safe night & day.

Back
Top Bottom