Protection from above...

JDN

Songster
5 Years
Feb 28, 2018
Raleigh NC
I have a roll of "poultry fencing" which is green and plastic that I picked up for pennies at an estate sale. Worst case scenario, I use it for my tomatoes to lean against.

On the run, I'm definitely doing the sides and aprons with hardware cloth. For the top, would this stuff be adequate? I know if nothing else it should work to keep out an owl or hawk.

My question is, is it a waste to go to the expense of hardware cloth of you aren't going to use it all over? Would most terrestrial predators simply climb and tear through and go in the top?

If you have what I think you have, it isn't any sort of predator proof. Hawks are heavy when they come down in a stoop, there is lots of power there and I don't think that stuff will stand up to it. And yep, terrestrial preds will climb the fence and tear off the plastic net.

Best predator deterrent is a hot wire, about 6 in from the ground and about 6 in down from the top of the fence. As for areal preds, hardware cloth, 2x4 woven wire, roofing material like tin or polycarb.

It would be best to keep the netting for making separation pens or cages.

If you have what I think you have, it isn't any sort of predator proof. Hawks are heavy when they come down in a stoop, there is lots of power there and I don't think that stuff will stand up to it. And yep, terrestrial preds will climb the fence and tear off the plastic net.

Best predator deterrent is a hot wire, about 6 in from the ground and about 6 in down from the top of the fence. As for areal preds, hardware cloth, 2x4 woven wire, roofing material like tin or polycarb.

It would be best to keep the netting for making separation pens or cages.
Thanks...Looks like I'll use it to keep the birds out of the tomato plants.

I use bird netting on top of my run, which is over 1000 sq ft. It's even thinner than what you are describing, but my cat walks on top of it....it sags but does not tear.

The above arguments are valid, but I've not had anything try to get into this run in the 3 yrs I've been using it.
kiki 1 (3 of 1).jpg

The thing about using bird netting is that it is fine enough to tangle anything trying to come through it. What he is is fairly stiff and anything would be able to make a hole in it.
Love the kitty. I've got a big black boy too.

I use bird netting on top of my run, which is over 1000 sq ft. It's even thinner than what you are describing, but my cat walks on top of it....it sags but does not tear.

The above arguments are valid, but I've not had anything try to get into this run in the 3 yrs I've been using it.
View attachment 1298778
What, kill chickens? I was just working on my climbing. I promise.

I do understand that there is only so much one can do if a critter is hungry or determined enough.

I was just trying to figure if its a worthwhile precaution. Sounds like its 50-50 but maybe not worth the effort.

Back
Top Bottom