Protein source for mixing your own feed

Rolsjo

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Maine
First, let me preface this by saying that my goal with this feed mix is to find something that I can do myself without buying stuff from a feed store. My family is moving overseas and will not have access to all of the special ingredients that go into an optimal feed mix. I know that we can get various grains for calories, my biggest concern is making sure we provide enough good protein.

So, what goes into the various protein sources in commercial feed and what is a good substitute? I won't be able to buy fish meal or animal meal, but can I make it? Is there something else, like lentils/split peas that could be used to provide protein?

HERE IS THE LIST OF GRAINS AND PROTEIN

CHICKEN FEED: Protein protein content of chicken feed, calculation of protein. ... UNSTUCK! With Lions Grip Traction Pads · MAIN MENU · Introduction · Feed Recipes ...
www.lionsgrip.com/protein.html - Cached - Similar
More results from www.lionsgrip.com »

A List of the Protein Levels of Different grains

FOOD SOURCE %PROTEIN, BY WT

Dried fish flakes 76
Dried liver 76
Dried earthworms 76
Duckweed 50
Torula yeast 50
Brewers yeast 39
Soybeans (dry roasted) 37
Flaxseed 37
Alfalfa seed 35
Beef, lean 28
Earthworms 28
Fish 28
Sunflower seeds 26.3
Wheat germ 25
Peas & Beans, dried 24.5
Sesame seed 19.3
Soybeans (boiled) 17
Wheat bran 16.6
Oats, whole 14
Rice polish 12.8
Rye 12.5
Wheat 12.5
Barley 12.3
Oats 12
Corn 9
Millet 9
Milo 9
Rice, brown 7.5

any questions email me

You can make your own dried liver just buy the liver at the store. They sell both chick and beef. Then dry it out in the oven. Dried liver is also sold as a dog treat/training tool in large containers at pet stores. Dries fish meal is fish food or you can just buy cheap fish and dry it youself then grind it up like the liver.

Me I will be using my rats pups as I bred them for my snakes so can use them for my chickens.
Liver is the easist to get by far so I would go with that as a great protien source for it is good for vit and mineral also.

Thanks, Tamara- I do raw feed my dogs so can easily find a good source of liver. I just hate cutting it up, LOL! But you're right, it's good for chicken and dog alike... I've been tossing dried peas and lentils as a snack into a low tub of garden dirt mixed with decomposed granite for grit and the chicklets (13 weeks or so) seem to really like it... I'm not sure I will do the whole feeding from scratch thing since I can't seem to find a local mill, but would like to supplement the laying pellets when we start them with extra kitchen scraps and protein. All the choices of lay feed I have seem to sink to the lowest common denominator... I guess that's why I started to raw feed my dogs too...

Patty N. ;-)

Thank you, Glenda! That is exactly what I was looking for! I bookmarked the website and will be referring to it when it's time to get our chickens. Also thanks, cybercat, for the tip on drying liver. You anticipated my next question!

Back
Top Bottom