Protein Supplement Ideas

TKM

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2020
Hello,

Our chickens are molting during this time of year and need extra protein. Unfortunately feed stores in our area have run out of higher protein feed. Apart from mealworms, (which we can't get), what are some good protein supplements for chickens?

Scrambled Eggs, cooked chicken or other lean meats.
Thank you!! should the chicken be cut into small pieces or can they pull apart a big chunk? Also does it change their poop? I've been a little afraid to feed them meat because of this.

Thank you!! should the chicken be cut into small pieces or can they pull apart a big chunk? Also does it change their poop? I've been a little afraid to feed them meat because of this.
I've never noticed a change in poop but I can't say I pay too much attention to it, chickens are omnivores so there shouldn't be an issue. You can do either, I don't think it matters much if it cut up or not. Watching hens body slam each other for a steak is hilarious.

Where are you located? I purchase black soldier fly larvae 5lbs at a time from Amazon. They're better overall nutritionally than mealworms. I usually receive them no more than 2 days after placing the order and I'm not close to any Amazon facilities. Just in case this is an option for you 😀

I have given them tuna and other fish , eggs, chicken( canned but I only have a few birds) anything I have growing outside, and milk products (milk, cheese, yogurt ect...)

Where are you located? I purchase black soldier fly larvae 5lbs at a time from Amazon. They're better overall nutritionally than mealworms. I usually receive them no more than 2 days after placing the order and I'm not close to any Amazon facilities. Just in case this is an option for you 😀
Thank you!! Black soldier fly larvae is also an option. We will try feeding those to the hens.

Thank you!! Black soldier fly larvae is also an option. We will try feeding those to the hens.
If they're used to getting mealworms, it might take a couple of tries before they actually start going bonkers for them, at least that's what I've seen with my chickens and ducks. You can find quality BSFL in 1lb boxes for less than $15. I found mealworms to smell of chemicals and the BSFL that I purchased does not smell like that at all. They don't stink and I guess I could say they smell pleasant, if that's even a way to describe larvae 😂 My molting birds get BSFL and chopped up boiled egg/scrambled egg (no salt or butter - not sure if this matters but I like to limit sodium intake at all times for the birds). Good luck with getting your birds through the annual molt. It will be worth it whenever their gorgeous new feathers come in 💜

I toss my chickens the bones from roast chicken, turkey, pork, etc. and the leftovers from making stock. They peck up the pieces into appropriate bites until the bones are completely bare.

Back
Top Bottom