Protein %

Our feed store only has chick starter/grower (they say it's both) and it's only %16 :(.  There is another feed store, but my Dad fell there in June, went to sleep and never woke up again.  I can't bare to go there.  There is a Tractor Supply about 40 minutes away.  They have a chick starter/grower that it %20 at $19.00 a bag!  Will mine be ok on 16%?  They are 3 month old Silkies, 2 month old (size large) Polish, and 2(size large) Phoenix.  The Polish and Phoenix are going on 2 months old.   Thanks!   Pamela Pittman.

It will work find. I always like to be on the low side on portein.chickens and pigeons do better.
Gary

most people on here use 20 to 22% protein feed(myself included)but if you go to Cobb's site you will read that their broilers are bred to do very well on a lower protein content feed so i would guess that 30% would cause leg problems and heart issues,JMO but its probably fairly a accurate one.

Mine get 16% feed. I have raised somewhere around 600 birds between this year and last all on this feed. (hog mash) They do great and don't have problems with bad legs or heart attacks. I do not withdraw feed and although it isn't needed I do give them grit starting around 2 weeks old.

I feed my meat birds a 20% protein feed. The laying hens might be best with a 16% grower feed. Can you pen them separately and have them on different feed?

You are wasting money to purchase 28% protein feed. Protein costs money and they don't need that much protein.

That 28% protein feed is for starting young turkeys and pheasants.

Back
Top Bottom