Proud Cayuga owners!!!!

welcome our 8 newest! they just hatched on the 16th- 1st time incubating eggs and made it thru w/out losing a fertile egg
couldn't be more overjoyed with them!!!!
yesss.gif
wee.gif
love.gif

Here's one of them all passed out

miss Lydia,

the little ducky that's in the bottom right of the photo, resting on another one is my little gimpy, you can see her leg all torqued up

Now she is sitting much better & is trying to stand!

miss Lydia,

the little ducky that's in the bottom right of the photo, resting on another one is my little gimpy, you can see her leg all torqued up

Now she is sitting much better & is trying to stand!
Thats great news, sometimes just a couple days can make all the difference. keep us updated!

Due to a predator attack I have a single Cayuga Drake. I wanted to get him some girls but could not find anything in the area so I ordered 3 ducklings. I was just wondering how old do you think the girls should be before they are introduced? Would it be better to wait until they are sexually mature or let them meet before and sort of ease into things? I know some breeds are more agressive breeders so I was hoping someone with more experience could give me some advice all I could find was advice on pekins and every breed is the same but different as is every duck I jsut want some rough guidelines to get me started and we will adjust as neccessary.

On a side note I already have 6 chickens (1 roo) and the drake the newbies will be introduced to the flock with 6 chicks so basically I have 7 birds and will be adding 9.

It really depends on your drake. In my experience my 2 cayuga drakes were pretty decent when I introduced 3 young muscovy ducks. They were about 4-6wks old when they went out with all the others. All my cayugas would run away from them & if they tried to get too close during eating time they would give little pecks. Hey you can always give it a try when they are big enough to make it out w/ the others - worse case you see the boy act up & then remove them & try again in a couple weeks.

I am shocked that there are not more threads here about the Cayuga breed then there are.

So I will join in on this one.

I searched a lot to find some fairly good quality eggs or babies of this breed only to be out a lot of $ with zero results.

I reached out to some enabler friends of mine and we found some... Here are my Cayugas.

For those of you considering purchasing some, let my BAD experiances help you NOT to end up with bad quality ones.....

When looking to get babies, ask to see pics of the adults.

Cayuga's should be a big bodies bird, with nice dark coloring. BLACK legs AND bills.

If they have been cared for nicely their black feather shoud sheen purples and greens (as you can see, I have - front and center - a bad quality drake (size and bill color). I could not leave him in the conditions he was in, where he was when I went to go look at them
somad.gif
)

Babies should be ALL black like the ones below (they are not quite a month old here):

This is them at about 2.5 - 3 months old:

Back
Top Bottom