Proud chicken owner from Cyprus

animalfarmer

Chirping
6 Years
May 2, 2013
Hi I know most of you live in the States so just to let you know Cyprus is the third largest island in the Mediterranean.
Just got our first 10 chickens from local farmer/feed centre locally. Many Cypriots keep chickens and we have plenty of land, so we thought we'd add to our animals (2 doags and 2 cats) by giving some chickens a good home to free range.
Hubby built a nice coop from old bits of wood and added a chicken wire run with plenty of shade as it gets up to 40 C here in summer. We'll let them free range outside once they've had a week or so getting used to us and the dogs!
I think we have a hybrid type of chicken, a brown one like an ISB Brown, good layers so far as have had 18 eggs in 2.5 days :) even though I thought it would take a few days fro them to settle.
Came here for lots of great advice on how much feed to give, how you can check their age etc (mine are supposed to be 1 year old approx).

Great to be here :)

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
You have a very nice set up for your chickens. I think there are many names for the chickens you have, sometimes they are called Red sex links, golden comets, Cinnamon Queens or Isa Browns - depending on what hatchery is selling them. They are bred to be excellent layers and very popular.

Thanks for the info on which type of chicken we have. Ha ha the "hatchery" they came from was a bunch of different chicken owners in a local village. A phone call in the morning from the guy who runs the feed mill there resulted in 10 appearing in two boxes later in the day. Most of the friends we have who own chickens have similar birds.

Back
Top Bottom