Proud Parent to 2 Pekin Ducks....Are they supposed to grow this fast??

idlenoise

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
Hi everyone. I am completely new to owning ducks, and posting...I hope I have posted in the right place. I have never owned any chickens or ducks and after meeting a man locally w/a pet duck I was intrigued. I brought home my babies (still with an "egg tooth") 3 weeks ago and they are HUGE. They are starting to get feathers/losing their yellow "fluff". They have been in the house and there were a a few days where I was wondering what I had gotten myself into.....mess/laundry wise. But they have gotten accustomed to a routine and things have started becoming easier (messes bigger but I am more prepared). SO I bought them from tractor supply and the salesperson said they were Pekins (I had wanted Cayugas but I quickly shifted gears) There beaks were orange for the first week but have turned more of a pale pink and they have tripled in size (they can jump the 1 foot kitchen fence easy) Now I am wondering, are they Pekins or a cross-breed? And if they are Pekins are they jumbo? When I see pictures of Pekins I see their bright orange beak and these do not look like that. I have a ton of pictures but have not posted them as of yet. Their sounds have also recently changed...one makes a chirping/peeping sound and the other more of a clucking/belly sound. Also..(and this is cute) one sort of whistles like "hey you" (the type of whistle like "over here!" that people do....if that makes sense) I joke that I am at their "beak and call" when they start using the whistle (but I am)...So how can I tell if these are Jumbo pekins? Does anyone have pictures of a jumbo and a pekin next to each other at 3 weeks old? And should I be supplementing their chick food, is that why their beaks are pale pink or is it something else. They are very friendly....and get very excited when I talk to them. They love being held although they like to run away a little first. When they do, I walk away and they run behind me. Very cute :) Any help would be great. Thank you!!!

Oh and their names are Chopper and Violet (I have no idea what sex they are but I'm assuming by what I read that their sound and tail feathers will let me know soon enough).

Last edited:
We got our first 2 ducks 4 weeks ago when they were three days old. Each of them could fit in your palm. They've grown soooo much in 4 weeks they barely fit together in my lap. I took them to a vet for a check-up and he said they were perfectly normal. I can see a noticeable difference in their size each morning and even when I get home from work.

My ducks are Lucy and Sara.

Back
Top Bottom