Prove Her Wrong

XHippieChickX

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 11, 2010
Florida
Well, my sis wants a Silkie, and I hate Silkies. I know they're good layers, and nice, whatever. I just cant stand their appearence...So, are they common? Do you usually see them in your local feed stores? I really don't want one, but my parents say, "OH, IT'S NOT UP TO LISSY! WE'LL GET YOU ANYTHING AS LONG AS IT'S FAMILY-FRIENDLY!" I don't want it!!!
rant.gif

They are pretty common. Not as common as sex links or RIR's, you can find em at most places.

We have a few silkies. Not all silkies are sweet and family friendly.

When we bought our 2 first birds, we got them expecting them to be nice. One RIR, and one Silkie, named Sophie. They were both sweet. Towards adulthood, the RIR was showing aggressive male traits, and the silkie, well "She" was sweet everyday. That is, until "She" crowed. Boy, could that chicken change overnight.
ep.gif
He became one of the meanest birds we ever had. He was aggressive to everybody, and pecked hard. This is just a warning that not all are family friendly.

Silkies aren't great egg layers, either. they lay small eggs, and dont lay much.

Our family doesn't believe that it's the breed that defines it's character, it's the chickens personality itself. We also had some other chickens, I forget what breed, that were said to be very mean. They were SO sweet, you'd think we got a different breed.

Good luck with any chicken you get
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I was that way until i got my first silkie Bubba I absolutly love this chicken he is the SWEETEST ever. I just posed him for some 4H photography pictures!! He is my favorite chicken! He's my new pet chicken!
love.gif

If you do get them you will warm up to them give them a chance. I did and I LOVE them. I was a silkie hater until my little sister talked me into him. She really doesnt like him but I LOVE him.

They are really cute... Both the hens and roos (in my experience) are really nice. My sister wanted them too and i was like eww but when i picked up that little silkie and he nuzzled into me i was hooked, so give them a chance there really cute!!
love.gif

Maddie

Quote:
Well, I've read what you had to say. The thing is its rather selfish that because you don't like the breed your sister shouldn't have one at all. It would be a wonderful thing if you bit the bullet and to make your sis happy help her pick one out. She will remember that little bit of kindness for a long time.

And you are wrong, Silkies are all around you. Feed stores do order them in the Spring. Even in my backwater town they had them for sale. There are a ton of Silkie breeders in FL and more than likely have birds for sale.

Yah I'll let her have it...oh well, just deal with it...it's not like it's ALL mine and I have ALLL responsibility for it or something...

Quote:
That is a sign that you are mature enough to accept the responsibility of caring for your flock.

BTW, you are not letting her have anything. Your parents are. You are being a better sport by not kicking and fussing like a spoiled child. Just keep in the back of your head, its not all about you. That other's feelings, wants and needs are also a part of your life.

Quote:
get some SQ silkies through a good breeder, i hate silkies too but those are atleast alot cuter when you cant see their faces due to their tophats and muffs, the splash ones actually arent bad

Back
Top Bottom