PSA: It Only Takes ONE Mistake, ONE Time...

MickWithChicks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 18, 2017
East Coast of Australia
After half a decade of chicken-keeping, I had never lost a chicken to night-time predation until now. I'd lost a few in the day while free-ranging (foxes, dogs, and hawks), but that's a risk I don't really take anymore unless I'm there 100% of the time to monitor them.

This time I stupidly didn't latch the door to one of my runs properly after collecting eggs yesterday afternoon. The door is quite light and opens with the wind. I suspect it had blown open just ajar and that's all it took. I'm rigging up a spring system today to ensure the door can't open with the wind again. I'm normally so vigilant with my night-time checks, but with a 3 year old and 6 month old in the house, I was a bit sleep deprived this week and conked out on the couch so didn't get it done.
  • 10 of 16 chickens got out and likely roosted outside at ground level. 6 were still in their enclosure this morning.
  • 1 hen somehow got into the run next to hers - safe. I can't find the entry point so I have absolutely no idea how she got in there...there's no ground level gaps, so maybe through a small gap in the roofing wire? The rooster in there is having a great day with a new hen visiting!
  • 1 hen and 2 roosters were still out and about - now safe. I'm unsure how they survived the night.
  • 5 hens and 1 rooster are missing and there are feathers absolutely everywhere in all of their colours. I followed the trail until the scrub got too thick; no carcasses.
So I lost 6/16 from that run. The rooster that was taken was way too loud and always crowed at night, so I was looking to rehome him anyway--he was otherwise a near-perfect black-mottled D'uccle and would have been easy to rehome. Two were incubator filler hens that were backyard mixes, but they were the last 2 chickens hatched from my favourite rooster Robare that was taken by a hawk a month ago so I'm a bit bummed about them being missing. The other 3 were two D'uccle's / Satin Silkie mixes, and 1 pure black Satin Silkie. I highly suspect it was a fox or two and they ate like kings last night.

None of these chickens were named and to be honest I wasn't super attached to any of them like I was/am my original flock, but I'm really annoyed at myself for being human and making a stupid mistake. It only takes one weak point one time; even if your coops and runs are Fort Knox!

Anyway, I'm thinking it's time to surround the runs with a 3 point electric wire fence as an outer perimeter; that way if any do get out, the chances of a fox getting them is slim. And I'll order some game cameras too so I can see whether the foxes are still hanging around.

Thanks all. I always learn from my mistakes and try to share that knowledge with others. I know it has happened to a lot of others under the same circumstances - kept safe until a once off thing where they got home later than expected, fell asleep early, or completely forgot. Can only do what I can to ensure that when I make the mistake again, the consequences are less severe.

I have plenty of fertile eggs I can set - some from those that were lost in the attack so I'll probably set a couple dozen and see what I end up with. As the pen was mixed bantams I assume I'll get bantam mixes ;)

Fortunately we don't have racoons. It's mostly foxes (invasive), cats (invasive), dogs (domestic), hawks/eagles, and large snakes and monitors that we need to look out for here. Our possums are marsupial fruit and bug eaters but will eat a chick if given the chance. We do have quolls, but we've never had an issue with them; they might go for small bantams or chicks, but they'd have trouble breaking into my runs. We also have bandicoots that would eat chicks, but would probably prefer to dig into chicken feed and eggs.

Back
Top Bottom