PT Testing for birds?!

BackyardDove

Songster
9 Years
Oct 8, 2014
Central Texas
For about 4 years now, I've been trying to get into breeding Silkies. My first batch was a disaster because I was unaware that Silkies practically look for trouble, and so only one rooster lived. My second batch went much better, but unfortunately, while they were still young but old enough to be outside, a very heavy rain storm hit and they were unable to find shelter, none survived. With my third batch, I had become paranoid about letting them outside until they were a few months old, and due to their cramped environment from my paranoia they got coccidiosis. One died from that and another from unknown causes, but the majority lived and I still have them. It's been a little less than two years since then, and now that I understand how to properly breed them, care for them, and am confident in raising them, I've been talking to a show Silkie breeder to replace one of my roosters that has an undesirable trait to make myself a more serious breeder. Then she tells me that I need to get my birds PT tested, as required by Texas law, in order to breed and sell birds.

I've never even heard of PT testing before. Who am I suppose to contact to get this done? What happens if one of my birds has PT, are they going to cull all my hard work? I also breed doves and pheasants, will they need to be tested too? All my birds seem perfectly healthy. Besides my Silkie flock getting coccidiosis, they've never been sick, and I've recently begun routinely deworming them too(I was unaware they needed that too). In the town I live in, there are also wild chickens who sometimes come in contact with my chickens. How on earth am I suppose to keep my flock PT-free with a bunch of wild chickens running around?

Could somebody please help explain this stuff to me? If it helps, I live in central Texas, near Austin.

I'm guessing that she's talking about NPIP testing, which is a state poultry program that you should be able to find out about by googling it. Every state's program varies a bit, so look it up for Texas. Mary

No, NPIP testing is different. It requires money and more tests are done, though PT testing is one of the tests. In Texas, you must test your birds for specifically just the PT disease to breed or sell eggs and it is a free test since it is required by state law. I would only need a NPIP certification if I were showing chickens or transporting chickens across state lines, and I do neither of those. I need somebody with personal experience with PT testing in Texas, not NPIP testing, and so far I've only found out why PT testing is done online. No information on who to go to or what is done.

Contact the tahc. They send someone out to certify your flock is p/t free. I just spoke with them today. It will be 35 for under 99 birds and required annually. It is my understanding that to be npip, I send that certificate and 100 dollars annually to NPIP

Contact the tahc. They send someone out to certify your flock is p/t free. I just spoke with them today. It will be 35 for under 99 birds and required annually. It is my understanding that to be npip, I send that certificate and 100 dollars annually to NPIP
Hi, I just got certified to do PT testing in Texas and it is up to us how much we charge. The state does not regulate that for individuals certified to do the testing.

The breeder is referring to Pullorum Disease, & Fowl Typhoid. Testing is required by state law under color or threat of Federal Law. To move any chicken or eggs around in Interstate commerce (to get picky even on an Interstate or US highway within your state) without PTD or NPIP testing can land you in heap big trouble. This is one of the reasons that so many poultry breeders, farmers, and hatcheries etc are so paranoid about people what are strange to them setting foot on their premises. If you take a chicken to the vet or send one in for a necropolis and a diagnosis of Pullorum comes back then you may be forced to totally depopulate your chicken yard or premises. The good news is that a Federal or State police agency will likely show up to help kill your flock for you.

Pullorum is so dangerous a chicken disease that it is a Federal Crime to develop a vaccine because a vaccinated chicken will produce a false positive test result. Pasty Butt is one early symptom of Pullorum Disease. Pullorum in fact was once known as White Bacillus Diarrhea.

Pullorum to my knowledge has not been found in a commercial flock in several decades but it does crop up from time to time in private or backyard flocks. Incidentally, the greatest danger of it slipping into your flock is buying chicks, chickens, or eggs from local chicken breeders who by law are not required to be tested.

We live in central TX, half hour south of Dallas. So are we understanding this correctly- you do NOT have to get tested if you are only selling eggs( for eating or hatching) from your property? have heard of PT testing, NPIP certification, and TAHC certification.

Back
Top Bottom