PT vs NPIP and effects of positive test

My biggest fear is having to euthanize my babies (my chickens) because my daughter wants to sell chicks and we are required to pass a PT test when all I see is CDC warnings left and right about backyard chickens being dangerous.

What state are you in?

PT is extremely rare these days.
All states require you pass a PT test in order to become a member of the NPIP.
A lot of state also require more testing in order to become a NPIP member.

It all depends on which state you are in.
Texas

We practice quarantine on any new birds before introduced to our flock. Had a roo we got from someone present with IC and had to cull and inform the people we got him from so they were aware for their birds. Been through fowl pox and coccidosis too... as well as lice (omg that sucks).
I don't know what IC stands for.

Can you STOP being so discouraging? He was never introduced to out flock. I had him quarantined when I discovered his illness and culled before exposure.
If you have sick birds you should not be selling, period. It's wrong.

If you currently have sick birds then get testing done so you know what your dealing with.

I'm not trying to discourage you...I'm try to encourage you.

If you have sick birds you should not be selling, period. It's wrong.

If you currently have sick birds then get testing done so you know what your dealing with.
I don't have any sick birds.... I am posting to get feedback. I have ONE old chicken who got egg bound, her egg broke inside her. She has laid a lash egg. Since been given antibiotics. Never has laid another egg. She has EYP and us a PET. You assume I have sick birds. I KNOW BETTER than to EVER sell sick birds and my spirit would never allow me to sell birds even if we were dealing with a treatable disease. I'm saying our flick has gone through (not currently) coccidosis (treated), fowl pox (dry and ran its course over a year ago) and my Molly girl who laid lash due to EYP. I got a bird to breed, but he never left quarantine and was culled when IC was discovered and entire quarantine area and feeder and waterer was Bleach then lysol disinfected. Since we are NEW I was merely trying to find info on what WOULD occur with PT if positive

Back
Top Bottom