Public Education rant

mom'sfolly :

The biggest difference I see between public and private school are parent involvement and student choice. First, in private school, parents have a real, tangible investment in the school, and the success of the students. No one sends their kid to private school and then pays no attention to performance. The parents and students who are involved in private school are there because the believe in the system. Many people who send their kids to public school do not believe in the system, and are not invested. They don't actively participate in their kids' education. Many of them have never set foot in the school. Parents are much more willing to put up with a lack of library, or gym or no band program at a private school. At public school, they expect and get everything.

The second huge factor I see with private vs. public schools is the student body. Private schools have few students who are their because they simply have to be. They don't have to provide for students with disabilities; special programs for autistic, deaf, blind, mentally and physically handicapped students. Public schools must provide for all of these students. They must provide for the kids who don't have books, who don't have food on the table, who are homeless, who don't speak English, and for everyone else. Private schools seldom have to deal with the less than perfect student. The "average" cost per student of $6000 means that a huge portion of the money is spent on special needs, and less is actually left for the "average" student. In private schools, the $4000 tuition is spend only on kids in those classrooms.

A third factor is that private schools are exempt from many of the regulations that bog down public schools. Many of the provisions of NCLB do not apply to private schools. Here in Texas they are exempt from the NCLB testing requirements. So they don't have to spend their school year teaching kids how to pass the standardized tests. There are no ARDs, no 502s, etc. They also have them benefit, often, of smaller classrooms.

Well said!!! And the 2nd paragraph/point is a major reason behind why is costs so much per public school student vs. private school student....​

There are a LOT of factors that go into making a good school (beit public, private or home). Newer and better facilities may make some things easier, but in many cases arenot really necessary. Class size and studen teacher ratio only go so far. My son learned nothing in an 18-student 1st grade class, and his teacher felt like she was almost overwhelmed with "so many students." His second grade class had 45 students in two grades, and the 2 teachers knew to a T exactly where every student was in every subject without having to look it up. Thankfully, he had learned a lot during kindergarten and preK, so he was not behind when he finished first grade, but he literally learned nothing that he had not already known at the beginning of the year.

THese were both public schools, but different ones. THe first grade was our local district school, 2nd grade on was a charter school. That said, not all district schools are bad, the one my older son attended for 5th and 6th grades, as well as his junior high, were excellent. And no all charter or private schools are great, either. I looked at plenty of both and rejected them on quality of education.

There is a lot of accessory personnel that really are not "needed," and often are not found at smaller private or charter schools.

There is a balance between having a good sports program and having an excessive one. Texas is known for excessive sports, and has been since I was a child. For the most part, kids simply need a good physical education program that keeps them active, teaches them how to play a variety of physical games and activities.

Teachers come in a lot of skill levels. Some teachers kids learn because of and some teachers, kids learn in spite of. There are teachers who some kids love, and other kids hate the same teacher. My kid currently has a sarcastic, sardonic, funky, dry-witted language arts teacher. My son loves him, and performs unbelievable well for him; some of my friends' kids hate him. I have several friends that loved a couple of elementary school teachers that are almost universally hated.

Texas is way overboard on sports. Many colleges don't have stadiums as nice as one of our district's football stadium:

http://www.pvillepanthers.com/stad-rrisd.html

Last edited:
Copies are not frugal, it's not just the paper, it's the ink, it's the toner, it's the machine wear and tear trying to copy each chapter 30 or 40 times, which is copyright infringement anyway and illegal, we can't do it.

Oh yeah I know Writer, and the contract that goes with it for maintaince and extra expense to have a techy guy to come out and fix it. $120,000 copying machines are not CHEAP either. Toners are not cheap either, and they are MESSY! Black powder everywhere if you dare to spill any.

My father worked/retired from Xerox Corp as a service rep and he showed me how most of the equipment works and how he fixes them. Yeah I get free copies too. Wonderful to get papers they test charts on them, and you can use to back of the paper to color. Perfect for PreK and K kids LOL!

Back
Top Bottom