Puffy chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Leslieandthehens, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Leslieandthehens

Leslieandthehens Hatching

Nov 18, 2019
    I have a 6 week old Salmone Favorelle chick. I have had her for 2 weeks, a few days ago her Easter egger buddy died. They were cage mates for 5 weeks and very bonded. I have no specific reason for the EE deat . She was not growing like the Favorelle and had legs issues from hatching. The Favorelle is clearly lonely and calms down when she is with me. I was treating both girls for cocci and they have a probiotic feed. Maybe I am overly worried but i have never had a chick this puffy in siz . She still has her chick down when she should have more feathering and she will not rest help wings at her side. She eats and drinks. I have fed her scrambled egg and there is vitamin in her water. Any ideas whats going on with her?

Attached Files:

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome To BYC!
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Can you post a photo of your chick's poop too?
    Do you also feed chick starter?
    You were treating for Coccidiosis - what were you using (product and dosing - how long)?
    Where are you keeping your chick - how warm is it in her box/housing? (photos of her housing may be helpful)

Hopefully with a bit more information/photos, we can give you some suggestions.
    In the meantime, I would watch to see that she's staying hydrated, drinking and has a warm spot she can go to if needed.

3. Leslieandthehens

Leslieandthehens Hatching

Nov 18, 2019
    20191118_204831.jpg They have had corrid in their water since Sat afternoon. Ive been using the recommended amount for the 5 day treatment. 1 fl oz per 2 tbsp. Poops are normal, no blood, a bit of the white w some grit in it. She does have chick starter mixed in with the chick grit and scrambled egg. She eats well.

There is plenty of room in the baby box to get closer or away from heat if needed.

Attached Files:

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you explain your dosing? What is 1fl oz per 2tbsp? Are you going by the label on the Corid?
    Corid dosage for chickens is different than cattle - It should be 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Only a couple of strains of Coccidia present as blood in the stool, so behavior is also something you would want to observe.

I would offer the chick grit in a separate container. The food needs to be raised up on a block so the shavings are not getting into it - it makes it hard for them to pick out food without getting shavings.
    I would also monitor her crop to make sure it's emptying.

What is the temperature in the box?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: