Pulled just started laying but I have no supp light

wowlss

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2018
I have two pullets, an EE and a Blue Australorp, that just turned 24 weeks and the australorp just started laying. I’ve been trying to prevent that by making sure they don’t get too much artificial light since I don’t want them laying over the winter ideally; they are pets too.

There are some streetlight near by that I’m concerned could be giving them too much light.

Is she just doing this because she just reached maturity? Will it probably stop soon?

Yes they're mature so they are going to lay. I wouldn't fret over winter laying, just keep them fed and supplement calicium and they'll be just fine laying in winter. Being it is the start of their cycle trying to manipulate them may do more harm than good.:)

Yes they're mature so they are going to lay. I wouldn't fret over winter laying, just keep them fed and supplement calicium and they'll be just fine laying in winter. Being it is the start of their cycle trying to manipulate them may do more harm than good.:)
Sounds good! I’ll need to get them some supplemental calcium today then.

Your chicken(s) are reaching maturity and starting laying. Once they start, they will likely lay through the rest of the winter. This is normal their first year. They may not lay daily and you may just have an egg once in awhile, but in a month as days get longer again and they get in the swing of things the egg production will pick up.

Personally I do not supplement lighting, but I do not do anything to try and stop laying either. I just let them do what they do. Some chickens lay more than others. Some lay later into fall/winter than others, some go broody more than others, some molted, some didn't seem to molt... what I'm saying is that I just let them go, when they lay, they lay and that's great, and if they don't, as long as they aren't sick, I don't worry about it.

Your chicken(s) are reaching maturity and starting laying. Once they start, they will likely lay through the rest of the winter. This is normal their first year. They may not lay daily and you may just have an egg once in awhile, but in a month as days get longer again and they get in the swing of things the egg production will pick up.

Personally I do not supplement lighting, but I do not do anything to try and stop laying either. I just let them do what they do. Some chickens lay more than others. Some lay later into fall/winter than others, some go broody more than others, some molted, some didn't seem to molt... what I'm saying is that I just let them go, when they lay, they lay and that's great, and if they don't, as long as they aren't sick, I don't worry about it.
Good to know! I’ll just let nature take its course. Thanks! She’s been laying a little pink egg every day for the past three days already, it’s so exciting!

The street light is probably not near bright enough to count as 'artificial supplemental light'.

Ditto Dat^^^

Back
Top Bottom