Pullet and Adults not eating/hiding

lababs

In the Brooder
May 5, 2018
Pullets and adults not eating/hanging out in coop

I have 2 rescue chickens (from egg laying factory farm) that are about 5 yo. I recently purchased 4 chicks that I raised indoors until they were 17 weeks old. I integrated them slowly as per usual. The old hens were upset and hid in the coop just to get away from all of the youngsters activities. Now all of them stay in the coop together. They have all stopped eating for the most part. Empty crops. Almost full food trough day after day.

When I go out I can rustle them out of the coop. I have blocked the door so they can’t get back in. That helped some. But they will instead hide under the coop, again all of them.

In the morning I have to make them leave the coop. They will eat some when I’m w them but when I leave they head for cover. I’ve changed their food and moved their trough around. I believe they are drinking water but I’m afraid they are all going to die.

The older ladies are molting right now too which makes it worse. I cooked scramble eggs. They loved that but as soon as I left they stopped eating the eggs and headed for cover.

Any thoughts?

Are there big trees nearby? Is it possible they are being stalked by a hawk or such? That's the only time mine hide, as a group. It's really important to keep them eating, if nothing else seems wrong. Leave them inside for a few days & spoil them with whatever they will eat, see if anything changes. Offering a wet mash may interest them, and provide a little more water intake.

Thanks for your suggestions. Their poop looks okay although I’ll check tomorrow. I did go out and check their crops tonight. The pulleys had food in them. The older ladies less. Neither big.

We do have hawks/falcons and they have on occasion landed on top of the run to observe what they can’t eat, my girls. But I haven’t seen any do that w the new girls (although I’m not around all the time).

I think I will try to bring them inside as they certainly aren’t eating the amounts one would expect of 6 chickens. They are eating the volume of about one.

Many thanks again

How big is their space?
Dimensions and pics would help here.
Put multiple feeders and waterers spread out at least 4-6 feet apart.

You said you rescued 2 older ones from egg factory. If that’s the case it’s likely they are use to confinement. Thus making them see this whole new big world which they are not used to. Old habits may be hard to break and will take time.

Back
Top Bottom