Pullet ate snake whole, not sure if emergency or not

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by djunafarms, Jun 15, 2017.

1. djunafarms

djunafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    My 12 week old buff orpington just ate a whole baby snake that was approximately 8 inches long. Her beak basically became a vacuum and the little snake disappeared while she gulped it down whole. It didn't look right. Now she's roosting for the night--she's acting normal, but the incident just happened. Will she be OK in the morning? I keep picturing her with a whole snake in her crop. Thank you!

MageofMist likes this.
  2. chicks are life

chicks are life Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    North carolina
    We should be fine they are supposed to digest stuff like this including snake,mice,toads and frogs.

djunafarms likes this.
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She will be fine, her gizzard is probably grinding on it by now, not much different than them eating a big worm.

djunafarms likes this.
  4. chicks are life

Feb 11, 2016
    North carolina
    Just provide free choice grit

5. brucifer

brucifer Chillin' With My Peeps

Lizards and small snakes are good sources of protein. Chickens love to eat them.

djunafarms likes this.
  6. djunafarms

Mar 26, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    Thank you all, good to know. Up until now I was concerned that they'd get an impacted crop or something if they ate pieces of grass that were too long. Watching her gulp a fat baby snake was a real eye opener.

7. chicks are life

Feb 11, 2016
    North carolina
    I agree I have watched my flock chase down multiple mice and beat them to death.a Cochin snag a dead frog and lizards gulped whole.

8. CluckWheekBark

CluckWheekBark Just Hatched

Apr 24, 2017
    I had my old flock of hens gang up on a large black snake. Pecked it until the poor thing gave up and then they bit its head clean off. They actually used to chase moles and voles through our yard and peck them,but not eat them.

My current flock is way too lazy and young to do stuff like that. They cower at the sight of a bee :p

djunafarms likes this.
  9. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Wow I'm glad we don't really have an snakes, frogs, or lizards here! I think I'd be grossed out and worried seeing that LOL

We do have mice but they usually hide and I've never seen the girls eat any

djunafarms likes this.
  10. djunafarms

Mar 26, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    She was just fine this morning and came running out of the coop, probably ready to spend the day snake hunting. o_O

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by