pullet behaviors ?

Quote:
Thank you ddawn , I've never bothered to observe pre-lay behavior , and its really both entertaining and educating . This EE had some ruffled feathers where the wings would cover if not cropped [ she's pretty flighty ] but has lost the ruffled look . The CX pullets are not always willing to remain squatted for a lighter cockeral , and they were not bred with long life or reproduction in mind . Leg injury is a possibility with them ; but so far , so good .

What I'm learning is that there is a lot more weird behavior that is "normal" than any thing to be concerned about. My little weirdos lay outside the nesting box - on the coop floor, on the floor of the run in a pile of cecal poo
sickbyc.gif
- and then the next day everyone will lay in the box. Go figure. Right before they began laying they walked in and out of the box, sang the egg song etc. Sometimes they still go in there and sit for a half hour and leave without laying... Tiny little bird brains!
smile.png
Congrats on your pretty little egg!
clap.gif

Yay Chicks! :

What I'm learning is that there is a lot more weird behavior that is "normal" than any thing to be concerned about. My little weirdos lay outside the nesting box - on the coop floor, on the floor of the run in a pile of cecal poo
sickbyc.gif
- and then the next day everyone will lay in the box. Go figure. Right before they began laying they walked in and out of the box, sang the egg song etc. Sometimes they still go in there and sit for a half hour and leave without laying... Tiny little bird brains!
smile.png
Congrats on your pretty little egg!
clap.gif

Yeah , I've gotten the several eggs apparently laid wherever one happened to be , and that one was always very chalky textured ........ she started useing the nest box as soon as the egg was " right " . Another started out with huge double yolkers [ not so good if you want to hatch ] . One soft egg was on the floor of the coop and I stepped on it
roll.png
. Just before the EE egg , one apparently new layer evidently set on the edge of the box and dropped the [ so far ] smallest little tan egg outward LOL . I thought this EE might have been responcible , but then got I this one ; and so far she has been the only one to follow up with another the very next day
smile.png
. Plus she chose the " nest bucket " [ a 5 gal bucket on its side ] and carried in her own extra straw and some feathers to add to the nest along with her second pretty egg . I think she may become my favorite inspite of her flightiness
lol.png
.​

Quote:
Seafoam green would have been great , but thanks for the compliment and I have to admit I really like this color . If my Ameraucanas lay this color instead of the pastel blue the breeders strive for , I'm not going to mind one bit .

Back
Top Bottom