Pullet breathing strangely & eye problems!

Destinysb91

Hatching
Nov 5, 2018
67583907-886B-4583-9331-17265F3BE170.jpeg
393D3584-915C-4607-AF40-D4015F66AB5F.jpeg
6C9AE70A-478B-4FFA-BA1F-4A3D42292204.jpeg
I need help!!
2 PROBLEMS...
I am a new BYC mommy.
I have 8 pullets. All just over 2 months old.
4 different breeds.

Problem 1) have a Plymouth barred rock that had eye issues with left eye in past week that seemed like others pecking at her. Now her eye is healed and one of my New Hampshire Red’s eye is also messed up (also left eye).

Problem 2) one of my buff opringtons is sitting mostly and breathing heavily with beak wide open.

Welcome to BYC. Are you seeing bubbles in the eyes of the two pullets with eye issues? Or do you think the eye issues are strickly from pecking injuries? Mycoplasma or MG, a respiratory disease, can cause eye bubbles, sometimes swelling around the eye and pinkeye, and may cause gasping, coughing, and rattly or wheezy breathing.

Have you seen any runny poop with mucus or blood in the sick orpington, and is she eating? I would worry that she may have starting signs of MG or possibly, coccidiosis. Coccidiosis can be found if you take some fresh droppings to your vet for a fecal test, or you can treat them all with Corid in the water. Corid is sold at most feed stores and TSC. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water, changed daily for 5 days.

If you believe that this is more of a respiratory disease, you can treat with Tylan 50 injectable given ORALLY 1/4 ml per pound 3 times a day for 5 days. If it is just a peck wound, clean the eye with saline and use some Terramycin eye ointment twice a day. The Terramycin is alo good for MG treatment of the eye.

Welcome to BYC. Are you seeing bubbles in the eyes of the two pullets with eye issues? Or do you think the eye issues are strickly from pecking injuries? Mycoplasma or MG, a respiratory disease, can cause eye bubbles, sometimes swelling around the eye and pinkeye, and may cause gasping, coughing, and rattly or wheezy breathing.

Have you seen any runny poop with mucus or blood in the sick orpington, and is she eating? I would worry that she may have starting signs of MG or possibly, coccidiosis. Coccidiosis can be found if you take some fresh droppings to your vet for a fecal test, or you can treat them all with Corid in the water. Corid is sold at most feed stores and TSC. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water, changed daily for 5 days.

If you believe that this is more of a respiratory disease, you can treat with Tylan 50 injectable given ORALLY 1/4 ml per pound 3 times a day for 5 days. If it is just a peck wound, clean the eye with saline and use some Terramycin eye ointment twice a day. The Terramycin is alo good for MG treatment of the eye.

Hi!! Thank you for responding.

I never saw any bubbles in the eyes. The barred rock’s eye is already healed and she’s doing great so I feel that it must just be pecking wounds.
The red’s eye looks the same as the other’s eye did. Swollen and held shut. I posted pics of her. Can you see them?

As for the Orpington, she is on her second day of slow wheezy breathing, and being docile. No diarrhea. She drinks water and eats only a little.

The Buff Is painting (Hot) Try Giving watermelons to her and give her chicken vitamins too.... I don't know the brand of the vitamins... For you chickens eyes... Try getting them away with your flock so it won't get worse. Then Give them a lot of vitamins and water... Also try wiping their eyes with hot (Not burning) water... I hope I'd helped you! :)

*** another update:
I had treated the barred rock’s eye with saline and neosporin and few times, had quarantined her for a couple days and she healed up nicely. I may do same for the red now with the beaten up eye.

I also just gave them all some frozen corn cobbs to help them cool down and have treat. Hopefully it helps some. I may treat the water like you had said because I believe it may be coccidiosis.

*** another update:
I had treated the barred rock’s eye with saline and neosporin and few times, had quarantined her for a couple days and she healed up nicely. I may do same for the red now with the beaten up eye.

I also just gave them all some frozen corn cobbs to help them cool down and have treat. Hopefully it helps some. I may treat the water like you had said because I believe it may be coccidiosis.(with the oprington)

Of coarse! Put Ice in the water so it can be cold. That will help her be cool. I suggest giving them watermelons too because Its very cold and great to cool them down in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom