Pullet can’t walk

misshell

Songster
May 30, 2020
Livermore, California
I just walked into my coop and one of my BO can’t walk. She is dragging her butt on the ground. I’m going to get a crate and separate her. What could it be? Is she going to wipe out the rest of my flock? My BO aren’t vaccinated for mereks, but my gold sex links are.

I just walked into my coop and one of my BO can’t walk. She is dragging her butt on the ground. I’m going to get a crate and separate her. What could it be? Is she going to wipe out the rest of my flock? My BO aren’t vaccinated for mereks, but my gold sex links are.
Try and post a video of the dragging. Is she standing upright like a penguin, bobbing her tail? Or is her bottom dead weight and seems paralyzed....

Try and post a video of the dragging. Is she standing upright like a penguin, bobbing her tail? Or is her bottom dead weight and seems paralyzed....

She definitely looked like a penguin with her head upright. I should have phrased it better. She can walk, just wobbles. I just picked up a crate and she seems ok now... which is weird and hard for me because I cannot tell my BO apart from each other except for one who has a very distinct comb.

Standing upright like a penguin accompanied with tail bobbing is usually an indication of being egg bound. With a gloved finger, can you feel an egg stuck up in her vent? Be very careful; if there is one you don’t want to break it.

They are only 16 weeks old and haven’t laid any eggs yet. Could she be egg bound for her first egg?
Hhhmm, that I don’t know... I would separate her for now, somewhere dry and calm.... maybe withhold food and water for the night so you can check the crop in the morning (a healthy functioning crop should be empty in the am, since chickens don’t eat or drink overnight). If that seems fine, I would start them all on Corid and treat for coccidiosis, which is the most common chicken ailment for pullets that age. It will not hurt them even if that’s not the issue; but if she has it then they’ve all been exposed. Also check the poop and take pics of it, that can be indicative of a lot. Bloody poop is a symptom of coccidiosis, but it doesn’t always happen.

I guess it is possible. I just read through the link you sent me. Thank you. They are in the coop. If I see her do it again, I will separate her. Unfortunately, I cannot tell three BO apart from each other. Hopefully she is ok in there tonight.

Also, we are in California and the air quality was pretty bad for some time. It has cleared now, but I worry their health is compromised.
Ok well check in the am, if you can identify her I would separate then so you can monitor the poop, and how much she is eating and drinking. The Corid is probably a good place to start, though. Coccidiosis is very, very common.

Back
Top Bottom