Pullet can’t walk

You’re welcome... keep us posted!
Now that I think of it, I did find watery poop and took a picture maybe two weeks ago. There was some red in it, but I just brushed it off because we have tomatoes plants the girls always figure out how to get in to and eat them. It also was ridiculously hot that day. 115 degrees. One buff Orpington has been walking in circles occasionally and I am wondering if it’s the same one who had the funny walk today.

Attachments

• D478DD7B-BD09-4A4B-92CA-F8F7B6D0B82B.png
    D478DD7B-BD09-4A4B-92CA-F8F7B6D0B82B.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
Now that I think of it, I did find watery poop and took a picture maybe two weeks ago. There was some red in it, but I just brushed it off because we have tomatoes plants the girls always figure out how to get in to and eat them. It also was ridiculously hot that day. 115 degrees. One buff Orpington has been walking in circles occasionally and I am wondering if it’s the same one who had the funny walk today.
Eating tomatoes will not cause them to have red poop. One thing to consider; the green parts of tomatoes (stems / leaves) are toxic to chickens .... but they typically know instinctually to avoid it. Just observe and make sure you don’t have anyone who actually Is eating the greens. It’s a long shot, and I don’t think its what’s causing this, but just something to consider.
Mucusy poo can also be a sign of coccidiosis so I think the Corid would be a good place to start and definitely treat everyone for 5 days. Like I said, it will not hurt them either way.

I just walked into my coop and one of my BO can’t walk. She is dragging her butt on the ground. I’m going to get a crate and separate her. What could it be? Is she going to wipe out the rest of my flock? My BO aren’t vaccinated for mereks, but my gold sex links are.
She definitely looked like a penguin with her head upright. I should have phrased it better. She can walk, just wobbles. I just picked up a crate and she seems ok now... which is weird and hard for me because I cannot tell my BO apart from each other except for one who has a very distinct comb.
Can you please post some photos of the pullet?
A video of her actions may also be helpful. Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

The wobbling, walking around in circles, etc. sounds like it could be neurological, but there's so many thing that can go wrong with chickens.

115F weather, I would worry about heat stress too. I would make sure she's drinking really well. Get some Vitamin E (400IU) and human B-Complex. Give her 1 Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily for a week.

Do you know if she was vaccinated for Marek's?

I can post a video when she does it again. Right now they are all acting happy and healthy. I will see if a regular pet food store has the supplements today since the local feed here is closed on Sunday. She was NOT vaccinated for mareks. All my BO came from a breeder who did not vaccinate them. My sex links came from a feed store who did vaccinate, though. And even though its great they are protected, I have wondered if they are carriers because of that.

I can post a video when she does it again. Right now they are all acting happy and healthy. I will see if a regular pet food store has the supplements today since the local feed here is closed on Sunday. She was NOT vaccinated for mareks. All my BO came from a breeder who did not vaccinate them. My sex links came from a feed store who did vaccinate, though. And even though its great they are protected, I have wondered if they are carriers because of that.
You can find those vitamins at Walmart, CVS, etc.
Glad she's doing better, she may have been having trouble with the heat, but I would definitely keep an eye on her for a while.

Back
Top Bottom