Pullet cant move

Mooocoow7

Chirping
May 1, 2020
Norcal
This may sound strange, but cannyou insert a clean or gloved finger into her vent where she lays eggs, and feel for a stuck egg?. Can she move either leg? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Sometimes being egg bound will cause a temporary lameness. She also could have suffered an injury. Mareks disease would also be a possibility. Do you have any rooster who might have injured her? What do you feed your chickens?
I'll check for an egg when someone can hold her so she doesn't squirm and she trys to move but always plops back down not getting very far. I dont know of her vaccination status except that she's from hoovers hatchery. And it's very likely it was a rooster who injured her because i have 6 roosters for 14 hens and am trying to find a new home for a few of the poorly behaved roos. And I feed my birds chick starter or flock raiser depending on whats in stocks and whats fresher.

black_cat

๐Ÿ‘’๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿ’
Premium Feather Member
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I'll check for an egg when someone can hold her so she doesn't squirm and she trys to move but always plops back down not getting very far. I dont know of her vaccination status except that she's from hoovers hatchery. And it's very likely it was a rooster who injured her because i have 6 roosters for 14 hens and am trying to find a new home for a few of the poorly behaved roos. And I feed my birds chick starter or flock raiser depending on whats in stocks and whats fresher.
Do they have access to oyster shell or another calcium source? Have you had issues with soft shell eggs?

Mooocoow7

Chirping
May 1, 2020
Norcal
Do they have access to oyster shell or another calcium source? Have you had issues with soft shell eggs?
I attempt to give them oyster shell normally they knock the dish over but I also give it to them when there outside and soft shell has not been an issue.

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
I would keep her separated in a dog crate with food and water close to her. A chicken sling might be helpful while she is unable to walk, but I would leave her in the nest box for now, in case she lays. A half of a human calcium tablet or Tums given orally might be helpful if she is egg bound.

Mooocoow7

Chirping
May 1, 2020
Norcal
Also might have missed it, but is she regularly laying eggs yet, or has she never laid before?
I'm not 100% she's laying but i think she is becuase her waddles a big and red and same with her comb and she's spent quite a bit in the boxes.

black_cat

๐Ÿ‘’๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿ’
Premium Feather Member
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I'm not 100% she's laying but i think she is becuase her waddles a big and red and same with her comb and she's spent quite a bit in the boxes.
Look at her vent. If you see it and thing 'an egg could go through that' then she is most likely laying. Does she squat for you?

Top Bottom