Pullet can't walk.

Joey G

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2016
Came outside before daylight this morning and noticed one of my pullets was laying in the run. She was fine yesterday, but now can't walk. She hasn't started laying yet but should be soon. She is a red sex link and almost 17 weeks old. I also have a glw roo about 10 weeks of age that has been having wobbly legs for a while now. He stumbles and has a hard time getting back up sometimes. Any ideas on what it can be? I am hoping not mareks, they weren't vaccinated though. If it is, do I need to put then down and disinfect everything?

Treat them with some poultry vitamins, and make sure they are getting a balanced chicken feed that is fresh dated. In the heat of summer more water bowls placed around in shade will help more meek birds to get enough. Hopefully this isn't Mareks, but it could be a possibility. Do not cull any birds until you are sure something is really wrong that some simple treatment might help. If one or both should die, then contact your state vet to get a necropsy done. What state or country are you in?

I am in southeast Louisiana. Later this afternoon she stood up finally but her back is hunched and tail down and pooped a little white liquid. I'm now wondering if she might be egg bound.

Update. She was eggbound and was able to pass it with a little help. It was her first egg and was soft. She layed the egg on Saturday and hasn't layed one since. Will she start to lay again or is she messed up now? She is eating and drinking again and moving around more.

New layers can be a little irregular at first, and some may lay bloody or shell-less eggs in the beginning. It's good that she passed the egg, and is doing better. Hopefully, her eggs will become more regular and should also get bigger. Make sure that she is eating a balanced layer feed, and has access to a bowl of crushed oyster shell to eat as she needs it for extra calcium. Plenty of fresh water can also help. Here is a good article about egg binding and it's causes: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html

Back
Top Bottom