Pullet closing eye & lethargic - help!

clapping

Chirping
Sep 29, 2020
Hi all,

I noticed this morning that one of my pullets, Joni, was still in her coop when everyone had already ran out. I went to go say hi and observed her, and she was keeping her right eye closed and was very lethargic. I separated her and I'm keeping an eye on her for more symptoms, and can do a full look-over after work.

Background, she's around 3.5 months old, no eggs yet, and she had just gotten off a round of antibiotics due to a hawk attack that left her bruised up but seemingly OK. I've had her on some probiotic water & yogurt after that and she seemed fine. Additionally, I had purchased 2 pullets to replace the two roosters that I had to get rid of at a nearby reputable hatchery and quarantined them for 3 weeks, but then recently in the last week kept everyone closer together to get to know each other before putting all the gals together in the coop. The other pullets have zero signs of any weirdness, when I first got them one chick had a rattle/honk cluck that sounded weird but no symptoms I could see.

Let me know if you have any insight, this gal is admittedly my favorite as she's the last of the chicks I raised from eggs. I'm super worried that I tried to do everything right to get her some new friends but may not have seen some symptoms or they may have some infection that was not visible that went to Joni!

Thank you!

I'm sorry your pullet is unwell. How long was she on antibiotic and what exactly was it for? Did a vet prescribe it? What antibiotic was it? What dosage and how often? What feed is she on, including any treats? Does she have access to grit? How does her crop feel? It's best to check her crop in the morning to make sure it's emptied overnight. Can you post some pictures of her poop and some pictures of her? How is the flock getting along with the new additions? Wishing you the very best!

Back
Top Bottom