Pullet coughing like a goose.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tnredhead17, Oct 30, 2011.

1. tnredhead17

tnredhead17 New Egg

Oct 30, 2011
    My 12 week old Americauna, Molly, is coughing. She sounds like a goose honking. She periodically breathes with her beak open, and stretches her neck. She is eating and drinking a little but has definitely lost weight, and her crop seems empty. Her stools look normal. She will not fly up to roost. She has been living with her 16 chicken friends in a protected run and 6x8 coop, but is currently quarantined in the garage. The other chickens do not seem sick. I looked in her throat but do not see evidence of gapeworms (though I am not sure what to look for...) Does this sound like a cold, or do I need to treat her for respiratory illness and gapeworms? What medicines does she need, and how much should I give her? I appreciate your help!

2. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    There are several links to chicken diseases, causes and treatments on this forum. Most of the diseases are scarey! However, this is my story. Well over a year ago, one of my GLW started doing the same thing. Took me a couple of days to figure out she was sick. By that time, several were 'honking'. We spent over 60$ to take a hen to the vet. The vet perscribed Duramycin, but gave a very bad prognosis for all my hens. I was devastated. I went to our local hatchery to pick up the medicine. They were very kind and supportive. They told me that not all coughing is caused by the big sickness I had seen on here and not to panic. Fixed my chickies water with the meds and within 24 hours, everyone was better and within 3 days....no more coughing. No sickness since and new pullets I have since added, are just fine. So read the links, get educated, get meds (I would start with Duramycin 10), relax and have faith. No matter what, get proactive. Though your other hens appear fine, if they were around her, they have been exposed to her airborne illness. Treat them all. Good job removing her and quaratineing her, but do not take any chances. Treat everyone.

3. tnredhead17

tnredhead17 New Egg

Oct 30, 2011
    Thank you juliawitt. I am on my way to the feed store now. Will let you know our progress. I appreciate all the help that all the members of BYC forum are willing to give. I too think of my chickens as pets, and want to do the best for them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by