Pullet Curling Neck Under Body?!

WildWyandott110

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2014
Oregon
We had a house fire in late October, so we've had to relocate to a house about half an hour away from our farm. This week has been bitterly cold (anywhere from ~-25 to ~-40 Celcius), and the coop is not heated. Because we cannot be at the farm constantly, they do not have constant access to water. However, they do receive clean, warm water at least once a day.
One of our Polish pullets ( about 10 months old) was found today with her neck curled up beneath her body on the roost.
She is rather skinny and is low in the pecking order. We brought her inside our temporary house and fed her some warm oatmeal and sugar water. After being introduced to both the food and water, she'd take a couple of bites or gulps of water as if she hadn't seen the stuff in days, then curl her head beneath her body again. She cannot balance very well. Other than that, she is perfectly fine. She interacts with her surroundings and responds to noise, light, and touch. Do you have any ideas about what might be wrong with her? Thanks in advance.
EDIT: Added Videos

Last edited:
We had a house fire in late October, so we've had to relocate to a house about half an hour away from our farm. This week has been bitterly cold (anywhere from ~-25 to ~-40 Celcius), and the coop is not heated. Because we cannot be at the farm constantly, they do not have constant access to water. However, they do receive clean, warm water at least once a day.
One of our Polish pullets ( about 10 months old) was found today with her neck curled up beneath her body on the roost.
She is rather skinny and is low in the pecking order. We brought her inside our temporary house and fed her some warm oatmeal and sugar water. After being introduced to both the food and water, she'd take a couple of bites or gulps of water as if she hadn't seen the stuff in days, then curl her head beneath her body again. She cannot balance very well. Other than that, she is perfectly fine. She interacts with her surroundings and responds to noise, light, and touch. Do you have any ideas about what might be wrong with her? Thanks in advance.
@coach723 @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

From your description, it sounds like Wry Neck which is a neurological symptom. Some common causes are disease (Marek's, LL, Newcastle), vitamin E deficiency and heat injury/trauma.

It's good that she will eat/drink on her own. I would give her wet poultry feed to eat along with a treat of hardboiled or scrambled egg. I would eliminate the oatmeal. You can also try vitamin therapy to see if that helps her. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex. If you have poultry vitamins that contain E and B1 those could be used instead.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

From your description, it sounds like Wry Neck which is a neurological symptom. Some common causes are disease (Marek's, LL, Newcastle), vitamin E deficiency and heat injury/trauma.

It's good that she will eat/drink on her own. I would give her wet poultry feed to eat along with a treat of hardboiled or scrambled egg. I would eliminate the oatmeal. You can also try vitamin therapy to see if that helps her. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex. If you have poultry vitamins that contain E and B1 those could be used instead.
How often would you recommend dosing with the Vitamin E and B-Complex?

How often would you recommend dosing with the Vitamin E and B-Complex?
Thank you for the videos.
Looks like Wry Neck to me.
I would give the vitamins daily for up to 2 weeks.
Hopefully those will help her. She needs to eat/drink very well - make 95% of her diet chicken feed, the other can be egg, tuna, meat or occasional greens.
It's hard to know the cause. If you happen to lose her, sending the body for testing will give you answers.

When the head goes down it's called crazy chick syndrome. It's a vitamin E deficiency. Aggressive daily treatment with vitamin E (I found it easiest to just by vitamin E gels and puncture and squeeze into mouth, or even cut in half and let them eat it if they will). And continue for about 2 weeks after symptoms disappear. So far I've had good recovery rates.

ETA - I give 2 gelcaps a day, one am one pm, until 2 days after symptoms disappear, then one a day for the rest of the two weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom