Pullet Has Complete Aversion To Water

Tuffenoughtorock

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2021
So, I'm dealing with an unusual problem in one of my 13-week-old Buckeye pullets. A week ago she survived a hawk attack, sustaining punctures to her face as well as possible internal injuries to her head.

Day one was just trying to keep her alive and keep her wounds clean. Even though her eyes were swollen shut, she'd drink water from a cup that I would hold up to her face. She went through a ton of it.
After two days when she was finally able to open her eyes, I was able to get food in her. I mixed her crumbles with water to create a "mush." Luckily she loves it and I've had no problems getting her to eat. Her balance was off, she acted like she was having problems with depth perception, and when she'd peck at her food in the dish, she'd completely miss the bowl a few times before she found it. She'd only eat the mush when the bowl was held up to her face. It was at this time I started having issues getting her to drink plain water. With her vision being off, I initially was able to sneak her water bowl up to her beak when she was in between bites of food to get her to drink, but now that her vision is getting better, she avoids water completely.

It'll be a week tomorrow since the attack and it's been three days since she drank water. She's not dehydrated since her food is a soupy/mushy texture, so she's technically consuming water, but when I offer her the water cup, her eyes get wide and she backs away. Even lightly dipping her beak in the water would cause her to shake her head violently and try to get away. But as soon as I put the food cup back, she's face first in it. She's at the point where she's feeding herself without my help, so that's progress. She's also walking better and not bumping into everything.
Ive tried adding some sweetener for flavor, changed up the style and color of her water dish, and tapped my finger in the water to get her interested, but she's not having any of it.

I'm just not sure what else to do to get her back to drinking plain old water. I know a lot of injuries require patience and time, but I'm a little discouraged. We've made a lot of progress in such a short amount of time and I want her to get healed up so she can rejoin her flock and resume life as a chicken.

Any suggestions/advice/words of encouragement would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hmm, it might take her awhile to get used to water again, I wouldn't worry to much, if she's getting water from her food, she might not feel the need to drink so I wouldn't worry to much. Just have patience and leave her to her own devices. She'll drink eventually.

So, I'm dealing with an unusual problem in one of my 13-week-old Buckeye pullets. A week ago she survived a hawk attack, sustaining punctures to her face as well as possible internal injuries to her head.

Day one was just trying to keep her alive and keep her wounds clean. Even though her eyes were swollen shut, she'd drink water from a cup that I would hold up to her face. She went through a ton of it.
After two days when she was finally able to open her eyes, I was able to get food in her. I mixed her crumbles with water to create a "mush." Luckily she loves it and I've had no problems getting her to eat. Her balance was off, she acted like she was having problems with depth perception, and when she'd peck at her food in the dish, she'd completely miss the bowl a few times before she found it. She'd only eat the mush when the bowl was held up to her face. It was at this time I started having issues getting her to drink plain water. With her vision being off, I initially was able to sneak her water bowl up to her beak when she was in between bites of food to get her to drink, but now that her vision is getting better, she avoids water completely.

It'll be a week tomorrow since the attack and it's been three days since she drank water. She's not dehydrated since her food is a soupy/mushy texture, so she's technically consuming water, but when I offer her the water cup, her eyes get wide and she backs away. Even lightly dipping her beak in the water would cause her to shake her head violently and try to get away. But as soon as I put the food cup back, she's face first in it. She's at the point where she's feeding herself without my help, so that's progress. She's also walking better and not bumping into everything.
Ive tried adding some sweetener for flavor, changed up the style and color of her water dish, and tapped my finger in the water to get her interested, but she's not having any of it.

I'm just not sure what else to do to get her back to drinking plain old water. I know a lot of injuries require patience and time, but I'm a little discouraged. We've made a lot of progress in such a short amount of time and I want her to get healed up so she can rejoin her flock and resume life as a chicken.

Any suggestions/advice/words of encouragement would be appreciated. Thanks!
So very sorry about the ‘Io attack. They are cutting down 10 acres of trees behind us and now we've had several around. On to your water issue...

Maybe try a water nipple on a small bucket while she is getting better. The cup of water may be scaring her from when she couldn't see? I don't know. Birds are weird.

Back
Top Bottom